Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just reached 25 hours on my 2013 500 sportsman and I figured I should change the oil. Everything went well untill it was time to put the crank case nut back on. I spent a good half hour trying to put it back on but I can't get it. I figured I would leave it over night and try again in the morning. Any tips on getting that bolt back in that tight space? And also since I left it over night, does that mean I have to re prime the hose?

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I remove all my plastics when i service the oils as i do them all at the same time and then clean the machine. You can use the wrench you use to remove the bolt to hold it in place and snake your fingers in to start tightening the bolt. as far as priming you will need to do it regardless after an oil change. Just check the level and if the oil is almost coming out the tank you know it did not prime.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Finger that crankcase oil bolt & other oil change ideas...

I did mine for the first time a couple weeks ago. I recommend laying on the right side of machine, look up over footboard and with your right hand find the hole so you can see from footboard area. then take the bolt and now that you can see somewhat where it goes it makes it much easier to start - just gotta play with it abit to get it going. don't start with a wrench or driver, you make start it wrong then cross thread and have a really bad day. If you did NOT remove the oil screen (lower hose on right side of oil tank) then you do NOT need to prime upper oil hose on oil tank. You may want to check the screen this first time just in case you have some filings, but i really think all the filings would be on the somewhat strong magnetic oil drain plug the tank has on it. I also suggest loading up the oil filter with clean oil, add some then turn rotate it (with hole up always) until it soaks in then repeat a couple times. Don't fill so much its pooling inside, you just want to soak the filter material so when you start up the first time there is less lag time before oil starts circulating to upper parts of engine. This is a good idea for cars/trucks too! Good for you and your quad changing your oil on time!! :werd:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I removed/cleaned the screen the first oil change at about 51 hrs (first to me, got quad w/42 hrs) and the screen was perfectly clean, so i'm not sure if REALLY needs to be done every time the oil/filter are changed, i think if you are otherwise diligent in changing oil on time with quality oil/filter then you shouldn't have junk sticking to your oil screen and the magnetic drain plug should catch any filings. Can i get some votes here whether its necessary to clean oil screen with every oil change or not? thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Cleaning the screen is not needed every change. In fact, mine has never been done.
I do prime every change, but that is by choice.

·
Registered
282 Posts
On my 2011 500 the screen was never removed from new and I put 5000 trouble free miles on it, sold it and it is still running fine. I think it is just a waste of time and effort. Any metal will be grabbed by the magnet and the oil filter is there to clean the rest. I assume everyone is using clean oil out of a sealed container so unless you are storing your oil in a milk pail in the strawshed I don't know where you would get dirt in the screen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts