Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Recently I bought my first atv's, two 2014 sportsman HO's. Love them so far and I got a really good deal on them :)

Last week end, I did the first oil changes (break-in) on both of them (22 hours and a bit under 200 miles on both), after I was done, I re-checked everything twice before we went for a ride and everything was perfect. (all the fluid levels we right on and the oil color was all good).

We went for a little ride (about 30 mins), when we came back, re-checked the oil and all was good.

The next day, we went on a longer ride (about 75 miles) and when came back I checked the oil again on both, on one of them, the oil is like new (see pics) but on the other one the oil is darker (see pics) (the one I was driving, and yes its was pushed a little harder because I was alone on it and my buddy had is girlfriend with him).

Should I be worried ?

Here are pics of the oil color, let me know what you guys think, thanks a lot !!

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
426 Posts
The color of the oil is not an indication of the condition of the oil. If you want to know the condition of the oil, send a sample for a UOA. If anything, dark oil means the detergents in the oil are doing their job. (cleaning)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
First off, the oil brand was the same, right. Was the oil the same color when added to both machines? I don't think you have an issue but just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
First off, the oil brand was the same, right. Was the oil the same color when added to both machines? I don't think you have an issue but just keep an eye on it.
Thanks for the quick response.

Yes Polaris oil change kits for both and yes the color was pretty much the same on both after I did the oil changes...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The color of the oil is not an indication of the condition of the oil. If you want to know the condition of the oil, send a sample for a UOA. If anything, dark oil means the detergents in the oil are doing their job. (cleaning)

Ok thanks, good to know !

Is it possible that maybe there was some deposits left from the break-in oil that mixed with the new so the new oil got darker because of that, if that makes any sense ?

should I do another oil change now ?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Is it possible that maybe there was some deposits left from the break-in oil that mixed with the new so the new oil got darker because of that, if that makes any sense ?

Just ride it and next time use Mobil one 0W-40. Polaris oil is made by some off the wall company in Minnesota. Most on here use Mobil one, Rotella, or some other well known brand like Amsoil Could be that one of the oils was darker in the bottle, so it just got a little darker than the other. Could be that u riding it harder made it darker, Just keep an eye on it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Just ride it and next time use Mobil one 0W-40. Polaris oil is made by some off the wall company in Minnesota. Most on here use Mobil one, Rotella, or some other well known brand like Amsoil Could be that one of the oils was darker in the bottle, so it just got a little darker than the other. Could be that u riding it harder made it darker, Just keep an eye on it
I looked everywhere for Mobil one or Shell Rotella, but here in Canada nobody carries them in 0w40, all the atv dealers only have Polaris and the common stores like Canadian tire or even walmart don't have the 0w40, I work in a car dealership and I had my buddy call a few part stores/suppliers and noboby has them ... That's why I had to go with Polaris ... I did not think about amsoil, I have a buddy that works for them so i'll give him a call, thanks !

·
Registered
295 Posts
Amazon.com: Mobil 1 106035 5W-50 Rally Formula Motor Oil - 1 Quart (Pack of 6): Automotive

Also, I wouldn't be too worried. No two engines are going to break-in or wear identically. Plus, as you said, they were not rode the same.
Thanks for the link !
No problem. Polaris has changed between 40 and 50 weight, I believe currently specing 50 weight. If you are an amazon prime member, you'll get it shipped for free and its enough oil for three complete (crank case drain) oil changes. Likely better oil anyway.

I switched over to K&N Oil filters, primarily because they come off with a socket wrench.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E2CVIS/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Last month I ordered two cases and six filters. That covers my 400 and 500, and my friend's 400 (three quads) for two oil changes.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
As others have said above, its probably nothing to worry about but keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

I looked everywhere for Mobil one or Shell Rotella, but here in Canada nobody carries them in 0w40, all the atv dealers only have Polaris and the common stores like Canadian tire or even walmart don't have the 0w40, I work in a car dealership and I had my buddy call a few part stores/suppliers and noboby has them ... That's why I had to go with Polaris ... I did not think about amsoil, I have a buddy that works for them so i'll give him a call, thanks !
5W-40 or 5W- 50 will also work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts