Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 scrambler 500. It had been sitting for 5 or 6 years. I brought it back to life and took it for my first real ride this past weekend, I changed all fluids, engine oil is polaris pure 5w50 fresh filter.

When I changed the oil I drained the crankcase as well. It took both quarts and was right at the full line. After my 4 hour ride this weekend I had no issues no leaks, nothing but fun. I don't see any smoke, I don't smell burning oil, but the dipstick level is dead center on normal, in between fill and full, no longer on the "full" line.

I'm probably paranoid and hopefully it's normal but I have no idea as I don't know the history of this bike except that it pulls hard, and has no flat spots in the rev range.

Is this normal? Or should it still be on the "full" line, also no oil was in the air box

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Well, you filled up the oil filter after you ran it, and there will be some oil that isn't in the crankcase where you get your oil reading from after riding it. I wouldn't worry about it unless your oil level is dropping to or below the ADD line.

·
Premium Member
10,585 Posts
did u let it sit for a good while after u rode it before u checked the oil? if u let it sit and checked it on level ground its definitely something u want to keep an eye on. pay attention to the color of the oil also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking, I swore after I test rode it before my trip I checked the oil and it was on the full line but I may be wrong. I'm going to keep an eye on it, I'm just OCD about mechanical things being perfect haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rode it on Saturday and I just checked it tonight and that's when I saw it was lower then I remember, I know the crank holds 8 oz and the filter will hold some...
The oil is still honey looking, like new

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Just keep an eye on it......time will tell

:beerchug:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Oil level s/b check After running engine 30 seconds

Then check it on a level surface. This is the Only way to check it properly. Doing it in any other manner will lead to an in-accurate reading. At the same time, All engines use some oil. That is normal. Some oil makes it past the rings and burns up, small amounts won't be seen as smoke, they just burn. All your 'symptons' point to no big problem, just normal use. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Like FUSE said you had to fill the new filter and the amount that was drained from the crankcase. As long as it stays in the middle you should be fine. If it drops down to 'add' or below then look for where it's going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts