Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I installed a reman long block (800) and after running the engine 3-4 hours the dip stick pushed it's way out of the tube. Oil poured out and I topped it off and reinstalled the same dip stick. I either didn't get the latch latched or when I installed the crank case valve I put it in wrong and it caused a pressure build up in the crankcase and pushed out the stick.. (is that possible?) If so can anyone tell me where to find a picture of the valve installed properly? Hell it may be that the stick just isn't latching properly, and when I gassed it the damn thing jumped out. (I can remove the stick with the latch in the lock position) :confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
7,559 Posts
Yeah so that baffle/valve to vent the crankcase to the air box may not be assembled properly. You could pull it apart to check it as there are several parts to it.

·
9,185 Posts
All you have to do is twist the dipstick lock assembly to make it fit more snug.
Here's a pic of the breather reed assembly. I hope that's it because otherwise you may have a more serious issue. I'd also check valve clearances. You might want to do a leak-down if the issue persists.
Oops, added the pic.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah so that baffle/valve to vent the crankcase to the air box may not be assembled properly. You could pull it apart to check it as there are several parts to it.
I ordered and installed a new baffle/vent so it should be correctly assembled, but when I installed it I noticed that it would go in 2 way's. After looking at the picture in the next post I thing I have it up side down. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All you have to do is twist the dipstick lock assembly to make it fit more snug.
Here's a pic of the breather reed assembly. I hope that's it because otherwise you may have a more serious issue. I'd also check valve clearances. You might want to do a leak-down if the issue persists.
Oops, added the pic.
Hey this tells the story, looking at part #8, I think I have the valve installed up side down or inverted. Thanks, I will give the dip stick a twist (assuming it is like a drain plug for a boat). .
View attachment 136086

·
9,185 Posts
Toyvo, if you're actually getting enough blow-by to push the dipstick out you probably better check the air box for oil too.
You may have rings stuck or not seated on that new engine.
One other thing that crossed my mind also is you might want to check oil pressure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toyvo, if you're actually getting enough blow-by to push the dipstick out you probably better check the air box for oil too.
You may have rings stuck or not seated on that new engine.
One other thing that crossed my mind also is you might want to check oil pressure.
The only oil in the air box is on the foam filter I installed to replace the factory paper one. But another thing has come to mind. A few months ago I had one of those plastic intake air pipes that go to the front of the Ranger because it developed some holes from exhaust heat and if you drove in 8 inches of water you would soak the air filter. I eliminated the piping and went with a home made snorkel that go's straight up and behind the rear seat and the bed. I noticed when I was cleaning parts that the air box had a lot of dirt in it so I took some of the foam material from the original air intake and made a pre-filter for the snorkel. When I checked the air box (after finding the loose dip stick) the foam material was inside the air box. I wonder if the foam was creating an air flow problem (or vacuum) causing the crankcase vent to malfunction. Anyway I removed the foam and now run an open snorkel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only oil in the air box is on the foam filter I installed to replace the factory paper one. But another thing has come to mind. A few months ago I had one of those plastic intake air pipes that go to the front of the Ranger leak because it developed some holes from exhaust heat and if you drove in 8 inches of water you would soak the air filter. I eliminated the piping and went with a home made snorkel that go's straight up and behind the rear seat and the bed. I noticed when I was cleaning parts that the air box had a lot of dirt in it so I took some of the foam material from the original air intake and made a pre-filter for the snorkel. When I checked the air box (after finding the loose dip stick) the foam material was inside the air box. I wonder if the foam was creating an air flow problem (or vacuum) causing the crankcase vent to malfunction. Anyway I removed the foam and now run an open snorkel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts