Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to do my first change on my 2013 550 x2, and the oil filter wrench I bought (that fits the filter that came in the kit for my model, 2520799) doesn't fit the filter that came from the factory on my quad?!?!?! The wrench is too small. I can't determine the part number on that filter yet, I have to go find another wrench that fits it. It's labeled polaris / subaru? Everything I can find says 2520799 is the correct filter, why would the factory have something different / different od installed?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The other thing I find odd is the manual says the drain plug is 8mm, mine's 14mm......someone please tell me this means they accidentally put the 850 motor in my 550 x2!!! Lol!

·
Registered
325 Posts
8mm is probably the thread size, not the socket size. As for the filter, the two different Polaris filters both take the same filter wrench so I have no ideas what filter you have on yours.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I did my buddies 550 oil change a month or 2 ago. They filter they sold him was different then what was in it. And the wrench only fit the new filter. No idea what that's about???

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything went back together without issue?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yup. I had a strap wrench that worked. The guy at the dealer told him they were different even

·
Registered
282 Posts
550 is made by Fugii Heavy Industries. They also own and build Subaru cars. My 550 came with the Subaru filter also but replaced it at service time with a Polaris filter. Bought a plastic filter remover that just fits over the Polaris filter with a square hole in the bottom that my ratchet fits into. I had to grind a bit off the upper ridge of the filter tool to fit in the hole were the filter comes out. Works great. Bought it at Canadian Tire. Should be able to get one at any auto supply store. Just take a new filter with you to get the correct size.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the stock filter...

*I tried to remove with old screw driver technique, that didn't work. Ended up finding a plastic wrench that just barely fit over the end and tapped it on gently with a hammer.*

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here's the stock filter...

*I tried to remove with old screw driver technique, that didn't work. Ended up finding a plastic wrench that just barely fit over the end and tapped it on gently with a hammer.*
I bought the Polaris PS4 oil kit a couple days ago and changed my break in oil on my '13 Sportsman 550 yesterday and it had the same filter you show in the photo. The original filter was too recessed for me to get my fingers in far enough and/or apply enough of a G.I. Joe kung fu grip to make it budge. I tried a strap wrench and a pair of channel locks but no dice either way. And so off I went to my closest auto parts store with my new kit filter from Polaris and all of their oil filter wrenches were just too big. Next stop was Wal-Mart and found exactly what I needed for the smaller filter. I now keep the Fram filter wrench and a 14mm socket in my front cargo box. I probably will only need them a couple of times a year but at least I know where to find it when I do.

Fram Oil Filter Cap Wrench, FM 101: Automotive : Walmart.com

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
On a side note, I had 20 hours and 279 miles on my new 550 when I did the oil change yesterday. I was surprised that the original break in oil still looked pretty clean as I was expecting a much more darker color. As it was, it was only slightly darker than the new PS4 synthetic I filled it with.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yup, that's the one i used...Had to gently persuede it on with a hammer....and i found it at wal-mart as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i had 25.1hrs @110miles (bought in sept)

·
Registered
96 Posts
yup, that's the one i used...Had to gently persuede it on with a hammer....and i found it at wal-mart as well.
I didn't have to use a hammer but I did have to place the wrench over the filter first and then insert the 3/8 drive extension slightly. I wish the 3/8 drive opening on the Fram filter wrench was deeper/thicker to prevent my extender from pushing too far in and not allowing the filter wrench to fit properly and grip the filter securely. You just have to insert the 3/8" drive in just far enough to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i had 25.1hrs @110miles (bought in sept)
You must have done a lot of low speed riding and/or idling in 25 hrs. With only 279 miles on mine I feel I didn't do enough riding but I hope to correct that this year and starting up again real soon. With oil changed and the chassis all greased up she is ready to hit the trails again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, lots of low range creek crawling

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone use the Fram filters from Wally World. I see they have 2-3 different versions. If you can find a oil filter book at the store. Thinking of trying one for a 2011 550.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Polaris filters are made by several manufactures who ever is cheapest at the time. As long as the filter mounting base is the same diameter and the threads are the same size it will work. The can length and diameter will be a little different from each batch.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Fram -PH-6607 will work, its a shorter filter, Purolator l-14610 is a longer filter and the one I use , something else to think about, Ive seen a stick go up thru the hole and puncture the filter on my sons 850, he saw the smoke from the oil on a hot engine and got it shut off before it hurt anything, I made metal covers to go over hole, theyu are held on bt 2 self tapping screws.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts