Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Polaris oil filter today for $15.99 Canadian. Seems expensive. Looked on the FRAM website and found PH6017A for about $12 at another store. Walmart no longer carries FRAM. They have Bosch and Purolator.

Any words of wisdom for me on oil filter selection?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Purolator is a very good filter as is the K&N. I use the Napa ones and I pick them up when I go to the states.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Wix, napa gold, k & n and Purolator are all good. I have heard to steer clear from Fram. I use napa gold which is the same as wix.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I use the bosch 3323 from wal mart. Its a bit bigger than the stock filter.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Personally I would NEVER use scram filter. I prefer WIX but as mentioned K&N mass a good one too. The premium Bosch also contain some good parts.

You do not mention your machine. But all but the original twins take the NAPA gold filter #358 the6,7 & 800's use # 357.

CW

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Fram bought Champion labs, they are improving.

I am running the Car quest filter, China Mart sells Bosch.

400HO
Pure 1 - PL14612 short
PL14610 long

Car Quest - R85358

Bosch 3323 oil filter.

I get QS 5W50 full synthetic at Car quest too.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Super Moderator
7,078 Posts
I bought a Polaris oil filter today for $15.99 Canadian. Seems expensive. Looked on the FRAM website and found PH6017A for about $12 at another store. Walmart no longer carries FRAM. They have Bosch and Purolator.

I can't pass up on this thread. I would hate to disappoint folks. :)
I will have my usual say about this. Why not just use the Polaris filter? If the extra $4 every 50-100 hours is going to break the bank, better find a different hobby. How often do people spend $4 on something without even thinking about it? A cup of coffee, a gallon of gas, a burger..... the list goes on. How can we sit here and complain about $4, it just baffles me sometimes.
Okay, I feel better now. :scool:

Reactions: Doc8404

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

I will have my usual say about this. Why not just use the Polaris filter? If the extra $4 every 50-100 hours is going to break the bank, better find a different hobby. How often do people spend $4 on something without even thinking about it? A cup of coffee, a gallon of gas, a burger..... the list goes on. How can we sit here and complain about $4, it just baffles me sometimes.
I can't pass this up...why buy the Polaris filter? Typically, OEM's such as Polaris don't make their own filters. They bid it out and accept the bid that will create their largest profit margin (not the best filter for the consumer). You buy a polaris filter and you don't know what you are getting one week to the next, but I can guess your getting the cheapest POS that Polaris can aquire. When you buy proven filters by known manufactures you know what you get because the name is on the box. I wouldn't buy a Polaris Filter or a Quart of Polaris Motor Oil if they were $1 because IMHO they are manufactured to minimum requirements for maxiumum profit. I buy oil from a oil company (Mobil 1) and I buy filters from a Filter Manufacturer such as Wix or K & N or Purlator so at least I can assume they have a vetted interest in their products being quality.
Look at the A-arm problems with Polaris and you think they give a Sh!t about the quality of their oil filters? Just my humble opinion as to why I shy away from "OEM" as much as I can in the recreational vehicle industry.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I use the bosch 3323 from wal mart. Its a bit bigger than the stock filter.
+1
I always use this too. it is a 3300 filter which is 3/4" longer, and a little more filter media. Highly recommended on Honda motorcycles as well.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I don't use the Polaris filters because if I am at a place I can buy them cheaper, and as I feel better quality, then I buy a few and take to the lake where the quads live. I also don't use Polaris oils as I feel that the Mobil1 is a better oil and again when its on sale, I buy a few 5 liter jugs. I have 4 machines so it adds up. Also for many the dealer tends to be out of the way.

Do as you wish, after all that is your right to do as you wish with your money.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

I can't pass this up...why buy the Polaris filter? Typically, OEM's such as Polaris don't make their own filters. They bid it out and accept the bid that will create their largest profit margin (not the best filter for the consumer). You buy a polaris filter and you don't know what you are getting one week to the next, but I can guess your getting the cheapest POS that Polaris can aquire. When you buy proven filters by known manufactures you know what you get because the name is on the box. I wouldn't buy a Polaris Filter or a Quart of Polaris Motor Oil if they were $1 because IMHO they are manufactured to minimum requirements for maxiumum profit. I buy oil from a oil company (Mobil 1) and I buy filters from a Filter Manufacturer such as Wix or K & N or Purlator so at least I can assume they have a vetted interest in their products being quality.
Look at the A-arm problems with Polaris and you think they give a Sh!t about the quality of their oil filters? Just my humble opinion as to why I shy away from "OEM" as much as I can in the recreational vehicle industry.
I agree 100% on this statement. Why would anybody want to put something on thier machine that goes to the lowest bidder and not know what you are getting. At least with Mobile 1, Castrol or Pure 1 or Bosche you do know what you are getting. For me it is nothing but highway robbery for Polaris to charge what they do for the little blue label they have on the bottle of oil that they probably paid 2 bucks for. I have tested both Mobile 1 and POPO oil at Blackstone Labs and the Mobile 1 was always superior to the Polaris oil. I have not done a test in a while so maybe another one is due if I can convince myself to rob the bank to pay for the Polaris Oil. Now I am going to sit back and wait for someone to say you need to use Polaris Oil because they can void your warranty.

Ronnie

·
Super Moderator
7,078 Posts
Thank you for clarifying that............... Next you will be telling me they don't make their own oils either. :deadhorse: Pretty sure we are all aware of these facts. Whoever manufactures their products, be it oils, filters or whatever, has to manufacture the products to the standards set by Polaris.
A-arm problems???

·
Super Moderator
7,078 Posts
Ronnie, there you are. What took you so long? You guys do realize that almost everything made is put out to bid and then made by the lowest bidder? From car parts to airplanes to buildings to the bridges you drive over every day. Not sure what the hang-up is about things going out to bid and then low bidder wins the contract. That's been the American way for a long, long time.

Reactions: Doc8404

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Bushing problems!!!!! What bushing problems??? Once you install JCCapri's bushings and get rid of the POPO POS bushings you don't have any more problems.
As many miles as I ride a year I buy the cheapest product I can that is of quality. I save alot of money by buying Mobile 1 and Pure filters from Wal Mart. For the people who ride a little it is OK for them to stick with POPO because they don't have much expense.
I look at mileage some people have for a 2 year old machine and I put that many miles on my machine in one ride. It is nothing for me to go to Utah for 10 days and put over a 1000 miles on it and that doesn't count the trips to Arkansas for a 3 day ride over 300 miles. If I changed my oil once a year instead of 3-4 times (2 machines) a year I might try gold plated POPO.

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Ronnie, there you are. What took you so long? You guys do realize that almost everything made is put out to bid and then made by the lowest bidder? From car parts to airplanes to buildings to the bridges you drive over every day. Not sure what the hang-up is about things going out to bid and then low bidder wins the contract. That's been the American way for a long, long time.
I have been here Bob I was just waiting for you to go first.:lmao::lmao: I wanted you to get the ball rolling then I could jump in.

I know most stuff is bid on Bob but for some reason the prices they put on the stuff just gets to me. The other day the dealer told me 14 bucks for a bottle of oil after they put new rings and a piston in the XP and I just paid the bill and walked out. Told them as long as the oil is that price don't expect me back in the store. I have been dealing with this dealer for years and now all of the sudden I am a stranger. I bought the parts on line also to fix it and they didn't like that either. work with me and I will work with you.

By the way Bob we are talking about a trip to Utah late April of next year to ride the San Rafael Swell, Moab, South of Green River and the Hook and Ladder area around Monticello. I will post the ride once things have been planned out if anyone is inteested. Plan for 100 mile days nearly every day with time for pictures.

Ronnie

·
Super Moderator
7,078 Posts
I have been here Bob I was just waiting for you to go first.:lmao::lmao: I wanted you to get the ball rolling then I could jump in.

I know most stuff is bid on Bob but for some reason the prices they put on the stuff just gets to me. The other day the dealer told me 14 bucks for a bottle of oil after they put new rings and a piston in the XP and I just paid the bill and walked out. Told them as long as the oil is that price don't expect me back in the store. I have been dealing with this dealer for years and now all of the sudden I am a stranger. I bought the parts on line also to fix it and they didn't like that either. work with me and I will work with you.

By the way Bob we are talking about a trip to Utah late April of next year to ride the San Rafael Swell, Moab, South of Green River and the Hook and Ladder area around Monticello. I will post the ride once things have been planned out if anyone is inteested. Plan for 100 mile days nearly every day with time for pictures.

Ronnie
Cool. We haven't picked a date yet for our annual Moab trip, but that would be fun if we could hook up out there for a day or two of riding. We'll have to stay in touch and see if it works out. We will have it posted on the other forum when we start making the plans.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

Ronnie
I try to support my dealer when ever I can, but at that price, i do not buy PS4 from them. It is the same price up here.

I buy the Demand drive and AGL from them though.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
181 Posts
After reading all this good information I thought that someone may want to be informed the Car Quest filters use the same numbering system as that of Wix.I was told this and looked it up. They are made buy Wix, just thought someone may like to know, Ken

1 - 20 of 28 Posts