Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 sportsman xp highlifter 1000
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a brand you can use besides the Polaris one because if i have to go to dealer i am going to get a few at once then

·
Registered
73 Posts
I run a Napa Gold filter. Made by Wix. Others have said wix makes OEM oil filters.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Wix, Puralator, K&N Napa Gold which is WIX and the top line CARQUEST which is WIX. I will not use any Fram.

p

·
Registered
426 Posts
Wix, Puralator, K&N Napa Gold which is WIX and the top line CARQUEST which is WIX. I will not use any Fram.

p
k&n = Champion labs, a FRAM Company. The Premium FRAM filters are top notch, check out Bitog.
+1 on that. Fram is known for the "Orange Can of Death" but the Fram Ultra is one of the best filters out there.

I'm currently running Royal Purple filters because I found a good deal on them.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I use the NAPA Gold filter. They have a big sale in around May here, I stock up and keep extras on the shelf in the shop. Same for oil. Buy it on sale and have a reserve supply.

·
Registered
2016 sportsman xp highlifter 1000
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the reply so if i went with a diferent one than polaris what size are they ,what are the numbers to look for in the books at the stores

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Pure 14610 or 14612. Can be found at Wal Mart.

Ronnie

See above, puralator at walmart.

Also,

Pure 1 - PL14612 short
PL14610 long
PL14620
PL14622
ML16817
Bosch - 3300
Car Quest - R85358

FRAM.

Automobile Filters, about 3.25 inches long.
Fram Double Guard DG7317
Fram PH7317
Fram Tough Guard TG7317
Fram Xtra Guard XG7317

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
As Clinebo said....when NAPA has a sale on the golds..its worth stocking up....also when Advaned auto has a sale on the pure 1's its like 2 for 6.00 when on sale....I have seen an read on the new Fram Ultra...it has great write up on bob is the oil guy..but i dont know if they have one yet for the Polaris use..i have not looked at the cross refrence yet....but they are made much different than the regular ones with metal end caps also....I installed a NAPA gold on my Sport 500 but bought some PURE 1 filters when on sale...i will use one when i do a spring oil change...but all the filters listed are are great filters for the machine...and cost effective.....

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
We do not get those annual NAPA filter sales up here in Canada like you guys do in the USA, the OP is from Ontario.

I posted the links and filter numbers above.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Pure 14610 or 14612. Can be found at Wal Mart.

Ronnie
I'll second that.... I use the 3.5" long Purolator version (# L14610) on both of my Sportsman's. They are < $4 @ WalMart.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
We do not get those annual NAPA filter sales up here in Canada like you guys do in the USA, the OP is from Ontario.

NAPA UAP Canada has some different suppliers from the US company. You might want to check whether they get Wix filters...

From orbit via Android.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

NAPA UAP Canada has some different suppliers from the US company. You might want to check whether they get Wix filters...

From orbit via Android.

They are wix, just don't have the annual filter sales.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts

Well that sucks.....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I just changed the oil in my Saturn Aura and it was a cartridge type filter (no can) and I bought the high end Fram and it is a POS. The AC delco that it replaced actually has some serious pleating and looked very sturdy. The Fram really didn't have pleats, it was more of a corrugation wave and the media looked really cheap as did the support frame. If I wasn't already into the change I would have returned it. I was always a Fram fan but no more. Can only imagine the canned Frams are the same. Going to stick with Napa golds from now on.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I just changed the oil in my Saturn Aura and it was a cartridge type filter (no can) and I bought the high end Fram and it is a POS. The AC delco that it replaced actually has some serious pleating and looked very sturdy. The Fram really didn't have pleats, it was more of a corrugation wave and the media looked really cheap as did the support frame. If I wasn't already into the change I would have returned it. I was always a Fram fan but no more. Can only imagine the canned Frams are the same. Going to stick with Napa golds from now on.
I read a lot about filters before I switched. The Frams had a lot of bad press. One article even implied that the ones sold at Wal-Mart were even worse as they were made to lower standards. ? Not sure if that is a true statement or not.
I did like the high rating for the NAPA/WIX filters and have been using them in all my rigs for several years now.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I hope the Fram filters are not as bad as I expect as I have been using them for years. Change oil regularly though so not too worried. Was dissappointed in what I saw when I opened the box. I had switched to a Bosch filter from Fram on my Chevy and thought I got a bad filter as my oil pressure increased as compared to Fram. Pulled the Bosch as a precaution and got a napa gold...same thing....better oil pressure....my only guess is the Fram restricts flow keeping the pressure low as I have been told the pressure sensor is after the filter. Now as my rpm increases so does my pressure. That wasn't the case with the Fram filters. Don't have a degree in oil pressure science but there is something going on when comparing the Fram to two highly rated filters (Bosch and Napa Gold). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I think you nailed it. Restricted flow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts