Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend told me that I should only use Polaris brand oil, filters (oil and air), and transmission fluid and oils in my 05 Sportsman 500. I would like to get input on what other people on this board use since Polaris charges dearly for these. Also, I have always used premium gas (no ethanol almost exlusively) in all my small engines and put it in my Polaris. Am I wasting money?

Would like to hear from you.

BRR

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've only run Polaris brand Lubricants in my 400, Just to be safe. I have rebuilt a lot of dirt bikes due to the fact that they just go into the gas station and buy the cheapest premix oil they can get and think it works just fine. I know its two different application but its the point.
I know that Polaris also recommends Premium fuel so your Good there.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ooohhh....you started the Polaris fluids discussion again.

And yes, you're wasting money putting premium gas in any engine that is not designed to take advantage of it, i.e. high compression engines. If Polaris recommends premium I've not seen it. Perhaps on certain high performance models. Avoiding ethanol is a good thing if you can do it.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
This topic's been covered many times before :welcome: And your "friend" is smoking the good stuff..... :joint:

But I'll bite again..... I personally run:

Engine Oil = Mobil1 0W40 (But been thinking about Amsoil 0W40)
Engine Filter = Purolator Classic (3.5")
Front Diff = Polaris Brand Cool Aid (1 qrt bottle does 2-3 changes)
Rear Diff/Tranny = Polaris Brand Cool Aid (1 qrt bottle per change)
Fuel Grade = 87 / 89 octane
Air Filter = Polaris Brand (But been wanting a K&N x2, but waiting till the current ones need changing)
Spark Plug = NGK Iridium(s)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Whoops! for some reason I was thinking pump gas around here was 83 octane! When I read the service manual I thought to myself "hmmm I guess I've been putting in the wrong gas" but I guess I haven't Yay!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
:D 93+ would be considered high octane.

Side Note: Locally 87 is $3.459 - 3.499/gallon..... and 93 is 3.89+. Why have we seen the spike in proces again..... is it due to switching out between winter/summer blends again? :dunno:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I put Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5w-40 in my Sportsman 500 and 700 engines. I've read good things about it and it's reasonably priced. Although I'm sure there are acceptable alternatives to the Polaris brand fluids, I couldn't find any truly definitive answers for the tranny/rear diff/front diff. Rather than waste my time researching, I bought the Polaris fluids. I figure they only cost a few dollars more, you don't need that much, and they don't get replaced that often.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I believe our summer blends here come out end of April ...

We know that gas prices go up during the summer, generally around Memorial Day, but when do companies start producing these different summer fuels? The EPA defines April to June as the "transition season" for fuel production [Source: EPA]. Refineries switch over to summer-blend production in March and April [Source: EPA]. Gas stations have by June 1 to switch to selling summer-grade gas, while terminals and other facilities "upstream" from pumping stations have to switch by May 1 [Source: EPA]. Following the summer driving season, companies switch back to winter blends beginning in September, with the first winter increase in RVP allowance occurring on Sep. 15.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So you guys saying i should take advantage of my local gas station where i ride my atv in upstate ny and buy The Ethanol Free Fuel ?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
So you guys saying i should take advantage of my local gas station where i ride my atv in upstate ny and buy The Ethanol Free Fuel ?
If you have access to ethanol free fuel...yes take advantage of it

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
A friend told me that I should only use Polaris brand oil, filters (oil and air), and transmission fluid and oils in my 05 Sportsman 500. I would like to get input on what other people on this board use since Polaris charges dearly for these. Also, I have always used premium gas (no ethanol almost exlusively) in all my small engines and put it in my Polaris. Am I wasting money?

Would like to hear from you.

BRR
In my 13 500 I have Mobil one 0w-40 synthetic oil
Trans....mobil one 5W-20 synthetic oil
Front differential...Any full synthetic atf

Oil Filter..L14610 or L14612 Purolator at wal mart...$3.27. One is slightly longer than the other but both work

This combination has run countless miles in many members atv's

And yes if you are using only Polaris fluids you are wasting money

Polaris does not manufacture their own fluids...so there's nothing special or GODlike about their fluids

Forget the premium fuel...another waste of money in an engine designed to run on 87 or 89 max

·
Registered
454 Posts
As it turns out, nobody carried any of the fluids I needed for my first fluid service. Even walmart had nothing including the correct filter. I live in a town where no auto parts stores are allowed and the auto parts stores in nearby towns didn't have anything I needed (except oil which is a different story). I figured how hard can it be to piece the correct fluids together. I ended up buying a full Polaris tune up/fluid service kit off the internet which had all fluids, oil filter, air filter/pre filter, and plugs. My time is simply worth more than the bit of savings. While I understand the idea of using non oxygenated gas which only comes in premium grade, it still isn't a big deal for newer vehicles unless it sits too long and you get phase separation. Not as big a deal in a small atv tank that can be easily drained versus a massive built in boat gas tank that requires a professional service. Coming from the state that first forced ethanol down our throats before other states, the only issues I've had were carburetor issues on snowmobiles whereby the jets/passages became completely solid from sitting 6 months having not been prepped at all for storage. That was mostly my fault but I learned how to disassemble and clean carbs which takes 10 minutes.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
As it turns out, nobody carried any of the fluids I needed for my first fluid service. Even walmart had nothing including the correct filter. I live in a town where no auto parts stores are allowed and the auto parts stores in nearby towns didn't have anything I needed (except oil which is a different story). I figured how hard can it be to piece the correct fluids together. I ended up buying a full Polaris tune up/fluid service kit off the internet which had all fluids, oil filter, air filter/pre filter, and plugs. My time is simply worth more than the bit of savings. While I understand the idea of using non oxygenated gas which only comes in premium grade, it still isn't a big deal for newer vehicles unless it sits too long and you get phase separation. Not as big a deal in a small atv tank that can be easily drained versus a massive built in boat gas tank that requires a professional service. Coming from the state that first forced ethanol down our throats before other states, the only issues I've had were carburetor issues on snowmobiles whereby the jets/passages became completely solid from sitting 6 months having not been prepped at all for storage. That was mostly my fault but I learned how to disassemble and clean carbs which takes 10 minutes.

Wal Mart didn't have mobil one oils or a Purolator filter..and no auto part store ALLOWED in your town...where do you live? Sounds like Beverly Hills but your signature says MN. I'm sorry you had so much trouble finding highly accessible fluids. You need to call Jesse Ventura and get to the bottom of this conspiracy.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Vandal;396236 Wal Mart didn't have mobil one oils or a Purolator filter..and no auto part store ALLOWED in your town...where do you live? Sounds like Beverly Hills but your signature says MN. I'm sorry you had so much trouble finding highly accessible fluids. You need to call Jesse Ventura and get to the bottom of this conspiracy.[/QUOTE said:
Walmart didn't have the correct oil or even one close. Their filter selection is very small and none of their fluids were close either and it is even a Super Walmart or whatever they call them. My town also doesn't allow self car washes which is a pain in the winter. While your Ventura joke would have been funny several years ago because of course he was another in the list of unqualified politicians here in MN, this is driven at the local level. I think this particular wal mart's lack of breadth and depth of automotive items is driven by few automotive diyers nearby. In the eleven years I've been here, I've never met a single person who does any auto maintenance themselves which is crazy to me. They will even pay for a headlight bulb replacement.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Vandal;396236 Wal Mart didn't have mobil one oils or a Purolator filter..and no auto part store ALLOWED in your town...where do you live? Sounds like Beverly Hills but your signature says MN. I'm sorry you had so much trouble finding highly accessible fluids. You need to call Jesse Ventura and get to the bottom of this conspiracy.[/quote said:
Walmart didn't have the correct oil or even one close. Their filter selection is very small and none of their fluids were close either and it is even a Super Walmart or whatever they call them. My town also doesn't allow self car washes which is a pain in the winter. While your Ventura joke would have been funny several years ago because of course he was another in the list of unqualified politicians here in MN, this is driven at the local level. I think this particular wal mart's lack of breadth and depth of automotive items is driven by few automotive diyers nearby. In the eleven years I've been here, I've never met a single person who does any auto maintenance themselves which is crazy to me. They will even pay for a headlight bulb replacement.
Hey....Jesse's okay. Maybe he was more qualified than you think....your majority elected him...or did you want the job. Now....why are auto part stores banned in your town and under who's authority was this ban put in place. This might just be one of the reasons that no one does their own automotive work,,,ya think? I seriously doubt any DIY had anything to do with this, because they also need parts to run a business. Is this some kind of small exclusive town you live in?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Vandal;396236 Wal Mart didn't have mobil one oils or a Purolator filter..and no auto part store ALLOWED in your town...where do you live? Sounds like Beverly Hills but your signature says MN. I'm sorry you had so much trouble finding highly accessible fluids. You need to call Jesse Ventura and get to the bottom of this conspiracy.[/quote said:
Hey....Jesse's okay. Maybe he was more qualified than you think....your majority elected him...or did you want the job. Now....why are auto part stores banned in your town and under who's authority was this ban put in place. This might just be one of the reasons that no one does their own automotive work,,,ya think? I seriously doubt any DIY had anything to do with this, because they also need parts to run a business. Is this some kind of small exclusive town you live in?
I've seen Jesse here and there over the years and if you can get past his crazy looks and his delivery, some of his views are ok I agree. The town I live in is one of the shopping meccas of MN but the way the central planning went, they excluded certain things and continue to do so. My take is If I can do it myself within reason, I will if I have the time to spare. This whole no auto parts stores thing has been a pain for years and years for me. I did my own brakes a couple years ago on my suv and I had a whole crowd of neighbor kids checking it out. We still laugh at the pictures they took. They had never seen a car up on jack stands or a car with a wheel removed. We live on the border of a farm town with among the three stores in that farm town they have a Napa but they just don't carry much. The had never even heard of 5W 50 oil which is the PS4 Polaris oil I was trying to not buy.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Coming from the state that first forced ethanol down our throats before other states, the only issues I've had were carburetor issues on snowmobiles whereby the jets/passages became completely solid from sitting 6 months having not been prepped at all for storage. That was mostly my fault but I learned how to disassemble and clean carbs which takes 10 minutes.
Where are you located in Minnesota? (PM me if you'd prefer)

As for the fuel varnishing and gumming things up in the off season..... I've been able to solve that with a dose of SeaFoam in the tank before it's parked for the season. ( And actually I put a dose in every tank on my ATV's, Motorcycle, Lawn Mower and Snow Blower.) I then allow the item to run until it reaches normal operating temperature, to assure the SeaFoam has worked its way into the carb/injectors thoroughly! Haven't had to have a major carb service since I started using it as stabilizer also! When I used "Stabil" I still had to have my motorcycle serviced every spring for it to run propperly.... started using SeaFoam and it fired up and ran good, then even better with the next tank of gas. Not selling the product..... just a believer!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts