Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to the local cycle shop owner yesterday about getting Polaris fluids for a complete fluids change. and he made the comment that most machines it doesn't matter what fluids you use, but with Polaris, If you don't use Polaris fluids bad things happen. Apparently one guy didn't want to pay for the Polaris fluids and used something else and it foamed up so bad it was coming out the vents and everything.

I never had any intention of using anything but the Polaris fluids, but I thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone else had ever heard of this phenomenon?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Hey Thor, That is what you call a great salesman! I use the foam from my Mobil 1 as a dessert topping.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just to let you know you are going to open a can of worms with this one.

I think the dealer is only trying to get you to buy Polaris oil. Polaris used 0w-40 oil for years with no problems. They weren't selling as much oil so they started marketing PS-4 that is supposedly a 2w-50. Why? because as long as no one else makes a 2w-50 they can't meet Polaris specs. Polaris can't force you to use their oil unless they give it to you free of charge. They can only require you to use oil that has certain specs. Along came 2w-50. No other oil manufacturer makes it so Polaris corners the market. When they won't give you any specs on that oil it is likely not as good as the $12 a quart price tag that comes on it.

Dealers and manufacturers are in the business of making money. I don't blame them it's just what it is. I use Rotella T6 5w-40 and have had no problems whatsoever. Truth be told you could use anything from a 0-5w and a40-50 on the other end with no problems. A lot of oil manufacturers use anti-foaming agents in the oil along with other sorts of chemical packages in the oil.

Bottom line use what you are comfortable with and I for one will not knock you for your decision. Use a high quality oil and you will be fine. Most oil related failures come from people not changing their oil.

I fear the dealer was just trying to get you to drink some Kool-Aid. Polaris oil is a fine oil otherwise they wouldn't make it just to tear up engines that they have to replace for warranty. However I wouldn't assume it is the absolute best oil out there for your atv just because it has the Polaris name on it.

Just to clear things up I do use the Polaris oil in the front differential and the transmission mostly because I only change once a year and the substitutes especially for the front diff. isn't readily available in my area.

Oh and one more thing the dealer that worked on my 800 last told me he would not bat an eye at running Mobil 1 0w-40 in the atvs. That's what Polaris use to use and these engines are not rocket science. Your cars engine has a lot more technology in it than these machines and I haven't had the GM dealership tell me I can only run AC Delco oil in my truck.

Again just my opinion and I mean no offense to anyone who strictly uses Polaris fluids.

Ride On!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
whoops, wrong section. oh well.

I should state. He's not a dealership. He's an independent retail/repair shop that deals with all types of motor cycles. accessories, etc.

and the question was really just about foaming oil. and really only out of curiosity. Maybe the guy used a very cheap oil without the anti foaming chemicals?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Hey Thor, That is what you call a great salesman! I use the foam from my Mobil 1 as a dessert topping.
I agree....sounds like a line of BS to me. Almost all the guys I ride with use a different oil now. The only ones still running the Polaris oil are the ones with brand new machines.
I have never heard of, or seen, in my circle of friends an oil foaming problem. Especially to the point that it's coming out a vent.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
who knows why it happened. My bet is overfilled it. but you never know. could have just been really cheap oil. either way, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Overfilling a splash lubricated engine is the only reason I have heard of causing foaming or airiaeted oil or if you get coolant mixed or other contaminant in the oil. Air is not good as it reduces lubrication but polaris oil doesn't have a magic additive to reduce it as compared to any other brands. I do know you don't want to use KY Warming Lube in your ATV, learned that the hard way...gets lonely on the trails sometimes but I don't want to talk about it.....lmao.....

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Overfilling a splash lubricated engine is the only reason I have heard of causing foaming or airiaeted oil or if you get coolant mixed or other contaminant in the oil. Air is not good as it reduces lubrication but polaris oil doesn't have a magic additive to reduce it as compared to any other brands. I do know you don't want to use KY Warming Lube in your ATV, learned that the hard way...gets lonely on the trails sometimes but I don't want to talk about it.....lmao.....
aren't you in Mexico? don't you have better things to do than BS on the forum right now?

·
Registered
553 Posts
That's crock of >>>>>>>

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
aren't you in Mexico? don't you have better things to do than BS on the forum right now?
Not really...just kickin back listening to the ocean crash outside...gotta love technology and nature....lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts