Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry...I'm a rookie. Just picked up my first ATV and put 20-30 hours on it and want to change the oil. Cant find a manual...Two questions:
1. What kind of engine oil should I use in it? How often should I change it?
2. What kind of transmission fluid does it use? How often should I change it?

Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
the polaris oil is ps-4 it takes 2 quarts. I change mine once a year but I think it would depend on how much you ride. The Polaris transmission gear lube is AGL. The manual says to change it yearly. I downloaded a manual from someone online for something like $12. I couldn't find a free one for the year 2000. It is worth your money to have one. Good luck

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Polo lube alternatives

Sorry...I'm a rookie. Just picked up my first ATV and put 20-30 hours on it and want to change the oil. Cant find a manual...Two questions:
1. What kind of engine oil should I use in it? How often should I change it?
2. What kind of transmission fluid does it use? How often should I change it?

Thanks so much!!!
Polo is good yet very expensive. Here are some options.

Regardless of brand, always use a Full Synthetic 0-40 or 0-50 (if really hot like Texas). Many on here recommend Mobil 1, Shell's Rotella T6, Royal Purple, Amsoil and other name brands.

Filters use Wix, Bosch, Purolator though many don't like Fram (poor construction i think).

Gearcase use 0-30 engine oil, your favorite brand.

Luck and Enjoy! :banana:

·
Registered
53 Posts
wherever that screen shot came from is wrong if it says that the 2000 325 Trail Boss is a 2 stroke engine . The owners manual for the 2000 Polaris trail boss calls for Engine Oil (Quart) Premium 4 Synthetic 0-W40 (4-Cycle). I personally own a 2000 trail boss and have done the maintenance myself. It is not a 2 stroke.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is going to start a big argument but here goes. I use Shell Rotella 15-40 in every thing I own. I have 2, 2000 trailboss's a Honda Goldwing with 125000.miles a GMC jimmy with 250000 plus miles a ford powerstroke with around 300000 miles. I've ran the same oil in all of them. they all still run and are used all the time. that's my 2 cents worth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts