Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a filter to do an oil change on my 05 800. Didn't want to spend the money on the polaris oil,what other brands are recommened.

Thanks J.R

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Mobil 1 0W-40!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I run Amsoil 0W-40 and K&N oil filters as they have a double synthetic media to filter twice as much dirt as a normal filter. They also have nuts welded on the end for easy on off access.

·
Registered
421 Posts
mobil would be fine. i use that in my new 08 500. i also use aftermarket filters. iv never had an issue on any atv. aslong as you do the oild changes when they sugest. most of the time do them a bit before it says to. if not on it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Are the Mobil and Amsoil 10W-40 ok for the new 09 Sportsman XP also?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm gonna use the PS-4 2w50 at least for now.Thats what they suggest and you can buy it in a kit(2qts and filter) from the dealer for $30 bucks.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Yea I got a deal on a gal. of Polaris, so I'll use it for the first change with a Napa Gold filter and then straight to Mobil-1! And I'll never look back!

·
Registered
527 Posts
We call the Polaris oil colored water. I have toured the plant that makes there oil and the funny thing was they were quick to show you there new bottle design and there new labels. When asked tech questions about there oil they avoided most of them and talked around the rest. Needless to say after that I now have less faith in Polaris lubricants then ever before. Now they are trying to put names on there oil instead of telling you the viscosity of it just to make sure you buy there oil.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Where was the plant at Dale?

·
Registered
527 Posts
The plant is in Plymouth, MN. The corporate offices and parts warehouse used to be located about a 1/2 mile down the road. Now the corporate offices are in Medina, MN and the parts warehouse is in Vermillion South Dakota.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just noticed that about not having the viscosity on the label.I think I will go with amsoil and k&n filter after this change.That is kinda messed up of them.All right guys,no more Polaris oil We Protest!!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
After this gallon that's it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the usefull info. I went with the mobil oil but not synthetic I've never been a fan of sythentic.Just my 2 cents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts