964 Posts
GREAT find! :fest06:

biz
:)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
A number of guys have this problem.
One member here found that he cured his by allowing a better "seating" of the cap before installing the screws. Seems if you throw the thing in and bolt it down. It flexes and doesn't allow the O ring to really seal. He pressed it in and turned it back and fourth as if screwing it in and out a couple times. This better allowed the O ring to press into the bore sealing it and stopping the oil from passing by the seal and into the box....

CW

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A number of guys have this problem.
One member here found that he cured his by allowing a better "seating" of the cap before installing the screws. Seems if you throw the thing in and bolt it down. It flexes and doesn't allow the O ring to really seal. He pressed it in and turned it back and fourth as if screwing it in and out a couple times. This better allowed the O ring to press into the bore sealing it and stopping the oil from passing by the seal and into the box....

CW
Yea I seen that vid of him seating it better. I was one of the first people with this problem. There has to be a way to solve it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I hope my cure works for you guys, I haven't seen oil since I've done this and if you look at my thread there was a ton in the air box before!

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Good show!!

CW

·
Registered
964 Posts
supercoe -- This is about the BEST I have seen posted about this issue! Well done...

I hope that all the other XP owner's with this problem...view this thread.

Perfect! :thanks:

biz
:fing02:

·
Registered
192 Posts
supercoe -- This is about the BEST I have seen posted about this issue! Well done...:
Thanks man, hopefully we can change some of the "bring it to the dealer" chatter around here. ;)
I think people on here were talking about the newer machines that are still under warranty in another thread.

Awsem thread and great illistrations. Thanks. :silvercup:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Great post I will try this if mine still gets oil in the air box after the recent repair.
thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Polaris Team Tip

A friend and I both have oil in the air boxes in our 2011 850 Touring LEs. Both have been back to the dealer, and new valve covers installed. Still oil in air box. We talked to the dealer today, and he told us there is a new tech bulletin out on the problem. Basically, the bulletin says that the lower O ring on the breather assembly should be coated with general purpose grease, then installed by gently twisting into positon, then tightening the bolts to specs. This is to insure that the breather assembly is properly seated into the labyrinth plate, and not deflecting the plate.

Maybe Polaris is finally starting to figure this out. Seems to me that a new labyrinth made of a stronger material, that would not deflect, might be the real answer.

Hope this is of some help to others with this issue.

Tom
2011 850 Touring LE

·
Registered
494 Posts
Tom,
Post Revised.
Thanks for your help!!
Dave

·
Registered
217 Posts
A friend and I both have oil in the air boxes in our 2011 850 Touring LEs. Both have been back to the dealer, and new valve covers installed. Still oil in air box. We talked to the dealer today, and he told us there is a new tech bulletin out on the problem. Basically, the bulletin says that the lower O ring on the breather assembly should be coated with general purpose grease, then installed by gently twisting into positon, then tightening the bolts to specs. This is to insure that the breather assembly is properly seated into the labyrinth plate, and not deflecting the plate.

Maybe Polaris is finally starting to figure this out. Seems to me that a new labyrinth made of a stronger material, that would not deflect, might be the real answer.

Hope this is of some help to others with this issue.

Tom
2011 850 Touring LE

Great news!
I wonder how much Polaris will pay me for figuring this out. j/k :p

1 - 20 of 283 Posts