41 - 60 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
will keep ya posted next time i get to go for ride i'll check it out

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am really torn, do I take it back to the dealer and let them pretend they are fixing it and have it for a week as many times before
or just pay for the new parts put them in myself and and try it. I would think polaris service would have been better for a known problem
such as this. I have paid for two new filters and bought a K&N so now I am out actually costs of three filters. (Growl)

·
Registered
964 Posts
I am really torn, do I take it back to the dealer and let them pretend they are fixing it and have it for a week as many times before
or just pay for the new parts put them in myself and and try it. I would think polaris service would have been better for a known problem
such as this. I have paid for two new filters and bought a K&N so now I am out actually costs of three filters. (Growl)
IMHO...I would take it back to the dealer and let them do the fix. If only that it is documented. If you have future issues.

Good luck!

biz
:wave:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't know the new part number maybe someone else can chime in here about that.

On a side note, my oil in the air box problem has been completely solved after removing the filter on the breather itself. :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok to solve the trouble, remove the spring and the felt on the breather. An give new! I try it and it solve my problem for 3 months now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2010 850 xp has 282mile on it and recently noticed oil all over engine and guess what......Found oil in the airbox.
So from what I'm reading buy a new carriage-filter outlet and plate labyrinth and replace????

·
Registered
217 Posts
SnowplowD,

All I did was remove the 2 bolts on top of the breather, take it out, remove the bottom O-ring and slide off the felt filter.
Replace the bottom O-ring, put the breather back into place, twist it back and forth a few times to get a good seal and put the 2 bolts back in.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I took the lower O-ring out simply because the felt wouldn't slide off easily and I didn't want to cut it off.
You might not have to remove it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine hasnt done it yet but im at 250 miles, and not ridden hard. So...just because i cant really figure it out.....what effect does removing the felt filter have? I mean, what does that do for you that stops the problem?

·
Registered
217 Posts
It seems that during hard riding oil can get sucked up into the labyrinth because of the massive vacuum the engine makes.
When this happens the filter (10) gets saturated in oil basically turning it into a tube that sucks oil into the air box.
Removing the filter allows the inside of the valve cover to once again properly dampen the vacuum.

As far as I can tell this filter is unneeded as I can't see what it would be filtering.
There should never be particulates inside the valve cover and if dirt came in through the tube going to the airbox the breather spring has it sealed off.

Some day I want to take this engine apart just to poke around in there but looking at the micro fiche leads me to believe the filter is unneeded. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wouldnt removing the filter still let oil be sucked into the tube? Im not argueing the point, just trying to understand how the whole thing works. If when the filter gets saturated it starts sucking oil into the air box, then wouldnt it just as easily suck oil up if there were no filter there? Like i said, im not disagreeing at all....just trying to understand what i need to do if i ever see oil in the airbox.

·
Registered
217 Posts
nvhunter,

Don't worry about it, I'm still trying to figure this out as well. All I know is this seems to have done the trick for me and others on here. :D

I can't imagine that there is very much pressure that gets relieved up this breather unless you had serious blow by.
With the filter removed I think it slows the velocity of any oil splashing up just enough that it doesn't make it up into the tube going to the air box.

I thought it was interesting when Polaris came out with the new breather and increased the size of the holes so I figured removing the filter would give a similar effect.

41 - 60 of 283 Posts