Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 sportsman 850 oil in air box.. i have had it in shop 2 times for same problem still happening.. so i just purchased the 2012 kit and i'm going to try and install it myself. has anyone done this? any advice would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
2011 sportsman 850 oil in air box.. i have had it in shop 2 times for same problem still happening.. so i just purchased the 2012 kit and i'm going to try and install it myself. has anyone done this? any advice would be great!

Thanks
Mine did the same thing but the shop installed under warranty. Should come with directions but looking at the parts they got, seem pretty simple. Unscrew a few things pull the old stuff out and then put the new one on and run the new hose to the airbox.

...don't be alarmed if you still find oil in there. While it has curbed my oil issue a good bit, there is still some oil getting up in there. A few months ago she ended up puking a lot up there but didn't mess the filter up. Dealer wants me to keep an eye on it, if it gets worse could be a bad oil labyrinth plate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for your reply. I orderd a new labyrinth plate also hope it works. I love the bike but this just makes me sad..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thank for your reply. I orderd a new labyrinth plate also hope it works. I love the bike but this just makes me sad..
Good, so you're covered for that whole system pretty much! So it'll take a little more then just a few screws to take out. I remember reading a thread on here about people that swapped out those plates, awhile back. If I can find it I'll post it up in here but I wanna say there were pictures in the thread that broke it all down too.

Don't be too down on her. Every year 850 from '09 through the '11s does this. Some at 10miles on the clock some reported it closer to 1000. Mine did it at about 15 hours in, forgot the mileage.

This last time it did it, a co-worker had it out hunting and when I got it back and started working on it, I discovered it. I'm willing to bet he was in low a lot and he put a few hundred miles on it for the 2 weeks he had it, which leads to me believe it was an isolated issue. Hasn't happened since and haven't noticed more in there so keeping my fingers crossed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts