Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To refresh: first-time ATV Owner, bought a 2011 Sportsman 850 Touring EPS. Knew it was a little rough when I bought it, but have time to work on it.

NEW PROBLEM: When we pulled the air filter out of the filter box...I was surprised to find the lower surface of the air filter box with pooled oil. A fair amount of it too, since that surface has some ridges that breaks the surface up like little dikes.

I've tried searching on the forums, with limited results. So, turning to the assembled brain trust on this forum for help.

WHAT ARE POTENTIAL CAUSES?: From what few threads I could find, there appears to be two likely culprits.
  • OPTION A: Bad crankcase rebreather valve? Could be allowing engine oil to get into the air filter box.
    • QUESTION: is there a way to test this valve? Or do ya just replace it out. (and is that hard to do?)
  • OPTION B: The machine could have been rolled by previous owner, and somehow (not sure how myself) oil worked through engine and emerged into the air filter box, then just hung around contaminating the intake air. Oddly, the air filter was fairly clean...suggesting the air filter had been changed previously with oil present -- suggesting the previous owner didn't do me any favors.
    • QUESTION: What is best corrective action for this? Just clean out oil from the air filter box lower surface, and maybe check to to see if more comes back?
  • OTHER OPTIONS? And finally...does anyone know of any other possible causes for this problem (oil showing up in bottom of air filter box)?
As always, thanks for the help. I'm definitely in learning mode here, so all advice appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts

·
10,309 Posts
Yeah, that was a common problem those year models. There should be tons of info on the net about it.
I just did a quick Google search "Polaris oil in air box" and got 16 million hits along with several videos!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that was a common problem those year models. There should be tons of info on the net about it.
I just did a quick Google search "Polaris oil in air box" and got 16 million hits along with several videos!
Okay, thanks. Wow, I never imagined. I've already learned a lot about buying ATVs. I'll be sure to do more homework for the next one...if there is a next one.

If I call the local Polaris dealership, can they track the vehicle VIN to see what recalls/alerts have been fixed on this machine?

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts