Polaris ATV Forum banner

Oil In the Air Box

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Diverxp 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 Sportsman Touring 800 EFI and I notice that I'm frequently low on oil. I don't see it leaking anywhere and the exhaust is clear. I have noticed there is quite a bit of oil in the cold air box. I do regular maintenance, and it's never been like this before, there is standing oil in the bottom and the whole inside of the box is covered in a slimy film.

I'm wondering if it has a PVC valve like a car, maybe that's faulty?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Jason -lost of performance , oil consumption, oil in exhaust, noises.....the engine is most likely slowly breaking up (eating itself). Don't drive it and get to a reputable repair shop for a compression test, leak down test and a good opinion. The more you drive it the worst it becomes. Your going to have make some tough decisions but never fall in love with gas, oil and tires. Why do I know.
Suggest you save your Canadian coin and try to spend those repair CA's on a newer machine. Maybe one in that reputable repair shop! Good Luck

#9 ·
There was a crank vent upgrade for those older twins due to oil in the air box issues. Might want to check on that too. I was just saying to check compression first. It only takes a few minutes and you can borrow a compression gauge at most any auto parts store. If its low a new set of rings and gaskets and you'll be almost good as new.

#10 ·
Okay, thanks again.

I'm going to pick up a compression gauge tomorrow. Ideally, how much compression I should see?

Is replacing the rings and gasket (I'm assuming that means head gasket) difficult? I consider myself mechanically inclined, but it seems a little intimidating.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.