Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be stupid ,I done a oil change on my 2002 sportsman and also changed the filter ,after I put the filter on ,I got it as tight as possible ,I watched for leaks for severel days and nothing appeared to be leaking ,but after taking the bike for a ride the other day I noticed a spot on my garage floor .I checked the bike and sure enough the leak appears to be coming from the oil filter ,I don't believe I can get the fileter on any tighter and its the correct filter for this bike. I just want to know if I should take it off and replace it once again or re install it and see what happens.

I'm new to doing maintenance on my bike ,so I'm sure I may have done something wrong . Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You likely over tightened it. They don't need to be tight (snug then 1/4 turn by hand). The engine and filter expand differently with heat. Your gasket probably is crushed. Also put fresh oil on it when you change them so the gasket can slip against the housing and not bind up.

·
8,736 Posts
With a little fresh oil on the gasket, just screw the new filter down till it seats and then about another 1/4 turn. If you get it real tight when new you'll have a hard time getting it off after its been on there a while.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
With a little fresh oil on the gasket, just screw the new filter down till it seats and then about another 1/4 turn. If you get it real tight when new you'll have a hard time getting it off after its been on there a while.
:stupid: Agree 100%!! Before installing new filter, take a finger and dip it into the new oil bottle.... then lightly coat the new filters gasket with the oil from your finger. Install oil filter by hand till "snug", now using your filter wrench tighten no more than 1/4 of a turn!!

You'd best try get your "as tight as I possibly could" filter off ASAP and install a new one with the correct method!! I'd install a NEW FILTER, as you like damaged the filters seal.

Then remember to top off the oil tank to the max line, as you'll loose a small amount with the new filter swap.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I always wet my filters before install...no need to run a engine without oil pressure until the filter fills up

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I always wet my filters before install...no need to run a engine without oil pressure until the filter fills up
Good tip. I do that also. I fill the new filter and let the oil soak in as I'm removing the old filter and draining the tank. By the time I'm ready to put the new filter on, it's absorbed almost all of the oil. I then fill it about half full and spin it on.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Good tip. I do that also. I fill the new filter and let the oil soak in as I'm removing the old filter and draining the tank. By the time I'm ready to put the new filter on, it's absorbed almost all of the oil. I then fill it about half full and spin it on.
+2 I do that on all my filtered engines too, great idea, should be the standard on "how to's"! :banana:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too had a leaky oil filter after an oil change on my 2000 Sportsman 500. What I discovered is that the genuine "polaris" oil filter (made in Mexico) supplied with the oil change kit, yes I got the correct filter, is the wrong one or poorly manufactured. The threaded contact area on the filter needs to be recessed deeper to allow the rubber O ring to fully seat. I would expect better from a so called genuine OEM part that one pays a premium price for. A replacement Fram PH6017A filter was clearly recessed deeper and worked perfectly. Pretty crappy- poolaris!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts