Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys My wife and I were out riding the other day and she noticed a deffinate loss of power ('99 sportsman 500). I got looking it over and saw oil leaking from down at the bottom of the engine where the oil intake and return is,there is a gasket there that appears to be the culprit.How big a job is that going to be to get repaired and should I have them look anything else while they are in there.Thanks, Dale

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello. well I got to work last night and was discussing my atv with a guy and he said the oil leak and loss of power ( I forgot to mention in the original post LoP happened above 20 mph)were not connected. He said for the loss of power at that speed its probably a carb issue.The oil leak around the gasket is just that and shouldn't contribute to the loss of power.
So it looks like a carb job and I'll ask about the gasket issue while there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dropped it off this morning and they called to tell me the cam shaft is pooched.They also told me they couldn't see the oil leak that I saw,so I'll take a ride up tomorrow and point it out while they got the top end off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost at the dealer? I have the lower gasket that needs to be replaced and is leaking a bit on one of the corners. Seeing if I should do it, or take it in.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reply to Gunner83

they looked it all over and could not find an oil leak, they replaced the cam shaft, exaust rocker, timing chain.to date I have not seen it leaking any oil from where it was before , so its a mystery as to where it came from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts