Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I bought a used 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. from a private seller. Took it out for for an initial spin, everything seems to run good, but noticed the coolant reservoir level was a little low, so I added coolant to the max level. A week later I dropped it off at the dealer for a full service including an oil and other fluids change. Picked it up, dealer says everything looks good outside of a rear master cylinder and couple of leaky shocks. Didn't check the oil level (should have). Two weeks later I took it again and out had a great day running through some hard packed trails and some mud up to the footboards, again everything seems to run good - no smoking or anything.

Got it home and noticed the coolant level was now at the min level of the reservoir, so I added some more to take it up to the max level. But what really concerned me was the oil level, it was a couple of inches above the max hash mark on the dip stick. So this morning after the engine was good and cold, I ran it for 30 seconds and checked the level and noticed the level was still high, so I drew off 1 and 1/3 of a cup of oil and now the oil level is at the maximum hash mark.

I'm wondering if the mechanic didn't drain the oil out of the engine sump and just added two new quarts...that could explain the extra cup of oil. Otherwise I suppose either gas or coolant is getting into the crankcase. The oil is darker than I'd expect new oil with just a few hours on it to look. The oil I've drawn off isn't milky (seeming to rule out coolant), and it doesn't smell like gas and I can't get it to ignite (seeming to rule out gasoline).

Does it seem possible that the dealer didn't drain out the engine sump oil and just added 2 quarts and called it a day? I suppose the thing to do is to take it out again and see if the oil level changes. If it does then I've got a head gasket or a carb problem and if not I've got a lazy mechanic problem. Could I be missing something?

I've attached a picture of the oil I drew off and a picture of some of the oil on a piece of tinfoil to show its color.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Does the oil filter look new? That oil looks awfully dark for a fresh change with only a couple miles on it...... :dunno:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Filter looked new. That's also why I thinking they didn't drain oil in the sump because the oil is so dark. That's what I'm hoping for...I'd rather it be that than a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
M
any don't drain the 8 ounces from the crank case, that stuff is nasty. Chances are that is why it looks dirty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confirmed lazy mechanic! I took it out today for several hours of trail riding, got it back and checked all the levels, oil level is the same as when I drew off that extra cup and third. So not a blown head gasket and no gas is getting to the crankcase through the carb. So I'm pretty sure it was just the mechanic not draining the sump. I'm just happy it not a mechanical issue, but would have expected better from a dealer. Its something to keep an eye out for.

·
Registered
629 Posts
just purchased 400 ho sportsman and the tech did not know it had a fuel valve shut off and i showed him where it was..:nixweiss:

I read the manual online before picking it up..

·
Registered
629 Posts
how do you get extra oil out of crank case ?
Drain it, in this case all he had to do was pull the drain plug in the crankcase, drain it and put the plug back and good to go since the case only holds about a cup..

just had to do what the dealer failed to do..

·
Registered
826 Posts
^ If I had a New Franchised Dealership, I would employ highly trained, well spoken, properly dressed employees throughout my entire dealership from the sales dept to the service department.
What a huge investment! Shame on those Dealers who don't take their business seriously.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Getting that crankcase oil out of 'dry sump' engines

how do you get extra oil out of crank case ?
On 'dry sump' engines, an Equally effective and Much easier way is to:
1) drain oil from oil tank - don't remove old oil filter yet!
2) Replace bolt on oil tank and start engine for Only 10 seconds, only 10 seconds!
3) Remove bolt on oil tank again and allow to drain.
4) Now replace oil filter, tank bolt, fill & check level as usual.

The 10 second run removes those 8ozs or so in 'dry sump' crankcase and causes no wear or damage to engine. This from a Polo tech.

I've done it for a while now, easy as cake. Luck! :cowboy:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I found it a bitch to get that drain plug out and back in to the pan.. I will try the run for ten second thing next time . Thanks for the tip:veryhappy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts