Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been rebuilding an 04 predator 50 and while I was working on that I came across an 06 predator 50 that I also scooped up. The 06 is perfect, except the previous owner said he didn't trust the oil mixer so he puts pre-mixed in it. He only owned it long enough for a few tanks, the previous owner used the tank and mixer, but for whatever reason this guy thinks the mixer isn't working right. The ratio he was using was 30:1. It runs awesome, but smokes pretty bad and my assumption (hope) is that the mixture is too rich in oil. I probably won't be getting into the oil pump (unless someone knows how to test without frying my engine by running straight gasoline), so I'm thinking I'll just use pre-mixed gas for both of these predators. Any idea what the right ratio would be if I mixed it myself with Polaris 2 cycle oil? I've read 40-1 and 50-1, but can't find any official Polaris suggestions. My local dealer said "you really should bring it to us so we can replace your pump".

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
There is no 'RIGHT RATIO' - anything from 14:1 to 60:1 is right depending on the design of the engine, the type of fuel used and the type of oil used.

How much power do you want the engine to develop and how long do you want the engine to last?

THE MORE OIL YOU CAN MIX WITH THE FUEL WITHOUT FOULING SPARK PLUGS; THE MORE POWER IT WILL PRODUCE AND THE LONGER IT WILL LAST, but jetting has to be adjusted with changes in ratios. One of the benefits of oil injection is the amount of oil going into the engine can be adjusted without the need to change carb jets. And, for my time and money, I will utilize oil injection ahead of pre-mix. Pre-mix has to be used withing 30 days. Alcohol will not mix with most oils, so only ethanol free gas should be used when pre-mixing. But, on the other side of the discussion, not just any two stroke oil can be used in an injection system while any oil can be pre-mixed. Use only oils approved for use in an oil injection system and each system is set up for the oil specified by the manufacturer. Don't use Honda injector oil in a Yamaha and don't use Polaris injector oil in a Honda or Yamaha.

Read this article and maybe get a better understanding of oil/gas mixtures https://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/twostroke-fuel-ratios-premix-myth-vs-reality-54169.html

Pre-mix + oil injection is a recipe for carbon build up and oil dripping out the exhaust, but too much oil is better than not enough oil. It is a rare exception where too much oil causes engine damage, but the possibility exists. Mineral oils burn, synthetics do not - oil burns hotter than gas, so the possibility exists that too much oil can burn up an engine, but the oil needs more air than gas, so for the oil to burn hot enough to do engine damage, the carb has to be running lean on gas. Now, as you pre-mix oil with the gas, the oil displaces the gas and leans the mixture, so under the right circumstances, too much oil can damage an engine the same as not enough oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts