Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to take the oil pump off my scrambler 400 to gas oil mix it and was wondering what all do i need to take off i took the pump cover off and 2 screws on the inside and it wont come out

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Is the pump not working? Why do you want to take it off? That kind of oil injection has been around for years and has proven to be very reliable. A whole lot easier to carry oil to add to the tank when you stop for gas than carrying a separate gas can.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it works but i dont trust it and it is leaking some where inside so i have to take it off to put a new O ring in it and my cable screw thing for the pump housing is broken as well so instead of replacing it i was just gonna gas oil mix i heard of better results in gas oil mixing

·
Registered
235 Posts
On some 2 stroke engines there are places that the oil injection system gets that and engine oil mix would not.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
it works but i dont trust it and it is leaking some where inside so i have to take it off to put a new O ring in it and my cable screw thing for the pump housing is broken as well so instead of replacing it i was just gonna gas oil mix i heard of better results in gas oil mixing
You are not gonna get better results by premixing. Properly set up the injection is the best and most accurate way to go. And so much less pain in the butt. I would suggest that you rebuild your pump and fix the cable so it all works properly. I am not an expert on the injection pumps or what it takes to remove one. I do know that you can't just disconnect it or it will burn up.

I recently worked on an Xplorer 250. This was a 2000 so 19 years old. The top end was trashed, but only because the tube from the oil pump to the engine had gotten dry and broken off. It was still pumping oil onto the outside of the engine. Just an example of how reliable the system is.

·
10,413 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Notice in the video that the 'mechanic' does not mention the steel thrust washer at the bottom of the hole that the oil pump gear seats on to prevent it from wearing on the aluminium of the engine case. Maybe the insert keeps the washer at the bottom of the hole. I recommend you use a magnet and fish that washer out. It may be small, but it's amazing how much damage a small piece of steel will do to an engine when flying around at high speed.

The poster of the video then says 'not to use too much silicone' then proceeds to put about 2 lb more than is needed on the plate. Now silicone is not gas and oil resistant and will melt and leak over time. Use Hondabond or ThreeBond 1184 liquid gasket. Put about 5 drops around the perimeter of the plate and use a rubber glove to smear those drops of sealant into a uniform coat around the perimeter. The liquid gasket is gas and oil resistant.

For my money I will keep the oil pump thank you.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Yes, your oil pump is different than the 250 - there is no thrust washer under the drive gear and your drive gear is attached to the pump - all you need do is remove the pump and block off the hole - it will require that you put a bit more oil in the counter balance cavity

1 - 10 of 10 Posts