Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1995 300 4x4. The man I bought it from said he didn't know if the oil pump worked. How can I do away with the pump and just pre mix? Also If I do what is a good oil and mixture to use?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
To remove the oil pump, remove the engine, remove the oil pump and the oil pump drive gear, fashion a block off plate and a gasket to close off the hole - reinstall the engine - remove the throttle cable and replace with a custom cable that eliminates the splitter - remove the oil tank and hoses - remove the oil feed line from the cylinder and block off the fitting the line was connected to.

Pre mix any motorcycle/ATV two stroke oil you prefer with non-ethanol fuel at 20:1 for mineral oils and 24:1 for synthetic oils - you may mix at 32:1 (most oils will not mix with alcohol so avoid ethanol blended fuels or use an oil that will blend with ethanol if spark plug fouling is a problem, but if plug fouling remains the same or increases with a decrease in oil, then re-jet the carb - as you decrease the amount of oil mixed with the fuel, you increase the amount of fuel metered into the intake - if cutting back on oil increases plug fouling, the fouling is caused by an excess of fuel - then you either have to cut back on fuel while maintaining the fuel/oil ratio or increase the oil to reduce the amount of fuel entering the engine.

Keep in mind, synthetic oils do not burn much during combustion "a la" very little smoke, but a wet exhaust - mineral oils do burn, make smoke and create carbon build up in the exhaust. The one thing that remains constant regardless of the brand or octane of gasoline and the brand of oil regardless of whether it is mineral or synthetic: every time the amount of oil mixed with the fuel is decreased the power the engine produces is decreased and it's life is shortened. The more oil you can run without fouling spark plugs; the more power the engine will produce and the longer it will last.

If you decide to keep the oil pump (they seldom fail unless run dry), check it by draining the oil tank (unless you know what kind of oil is in the tank) - start with an injector approved oil, bleed the pump (instructions are in the service manual and sometimes the owners manual), with the oil pump bled, remove the line from the cylinder, cap the oil line nipple, start the engine and hold the oil pump wide open - when no air bubbles come out of the line and the oil just kind of blurbs out every few seconds, uncap the oil nipple and put the feed line back on it. With the oil pump adjusted as specified, just keep injector oil in the oil tank and 87 or higher octane non ethanol gas in the fuel tank and ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 95 300 4x4 I bought off a guy that is in rough condition and need several parts for it. Only thing I got right so far is the electrical portion. Working on fuel, oil and vent lines now. They were all removed. No idea what goes where. Can you take pictures of these and send them? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts