Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2013 sportsman 500 and Ive changed the break in oil already on it. I didn't take off the oil screen fitting when I changed it. How important is it to do this next time I change the oil? Will I do any harm by not changing it? I mean isn't that what the filter is for? I'm not trying to be lazy it just seems like a PITA and I'd like to avoid it if it won't harm anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I think you'll find that 99.99% of the people that actually "attempt" to check it the first time, skip it for the rest of the times! In other words.... I wouldn't bother. Unless it helps you sleep better at night.

When we bought the wife's 2005 Sportsman 400 last spring, I tried to get the elbow off to clean the screen..... ended up having to cut the hose off and replace it and then stopped trying since I didn't want to break the plastic/poly oil tank in the process. I removed the tank and back flushed it. Got absolutely nothing out. So that was the first and last time I'll ever try that.... and I'll sleep just fine!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts