Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the second year in a row, we have blown out the side of the oil resivior on my dads 6x6. the first time was our fault, we tried to push it through a foot of fresh snow from our cabin after only letting it warm up slightly. our bad. but this past weekend out at the cabin, we rolled both it and my 2000 yamaha big bear up to the fire pit and let them thaw out for about 35-40 minits next to a nice little bon fire. yamaha started right up so i turned it around to toast the other side a little bit. went to start the 6x6, the carb was froze still so we had to thaw it out first. started it and let it run for 20 minits before moving it. about 3 minits after we moved it to load up BANG the oil tank burst again. 14 degrees out, another crisp clear walk 8 miles through the frozen forrest and swamplands to the trucks for my dad and his new wife from hawaii, and never been in temps below 63. so the questions are, finally, why does polaris make a machine you cant drive in the cold? do they make an after market tank with a pressure valve or something? is that a possible mod i could make? does any one else have or heard of this problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil tank issues

I would say your problem is the oil tank has/had some water in it, and then it freezes. If you let it sit for a while the water will settle and freeze in the bottom and your oil should still be discolored. What color was your oil when it blew? Slight brown? I have to change mine about every 2 months, and I still build up water in the oil and fuel tank from winter driving. I am getting ready to mod an older style 500 sportsman aluminum tank I got off ebay so I can put a higher temp heater on the oil supply, because there is no good place to get a heat pad on the block with out snow/ice ripping it off when I am plowing. Hope this helps

I have my 6 wheeler in Nome and use it for my every day transportation. I have put a arctic cat atv circulator on it. Polaris made one for a short time then stopped for what ever stupid reason. I have put an 0.080 cull plate on my plastic tank and use a aircraft tanis pad on it and it works well but still at -20 and below it is not liking to start. I put a gel cell battery with extender cables in the box for the winter time. It works well but when i plow it drains it the next day or two if I don't top it off with a battery charger. The charging system just isn't big enough on these rigs either.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have thought about both options that duhibrokeit mentioned. I will probably end up buying a couple of the arctic cat heaters and I have been eyeballing the metal oil tanks on ebay for a while. I would like to know if anyone out there has put one on a newer machine that came with the plastic tank and if so how much modification did it take? It would be nice to have the extra protection plus the ability to put a heater on the oil tank. I regularly plow at 25 to 40 below with both my machines. (seems like I never get around to plowing until its quit snowing and cleared off and that means its gotten cold) I have never had an issue with the oil but then I always use synthetic oil and I also keep my machines in a heated shop so I'm not starting them at really cold temperatures. I just run them when its pretty cold. misterbig907 experience defiantly will make me more cautious if I ever have to leave it out and then start it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts