Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used 2007 sportsman 500 ho efi from a faimly member. It wasn't taken care of the best so im going through the whole thing cleaning and fixing any issues. When trying to take the oil plug out of the plastic tank the metal insert that the plug threads into has stripped and now spins freely with the plug. Any ideas how to get the plug out and is there any fix? My assumptions is there arent any except by a new a tank. Which brings me to my main question. Am I stuck buying another cheap expensive plastic one or is the older style cast aluminum tanks found on older sportsman models compatible?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I Put a pre 2002 aluminum tank on mine because I figured eventually I'd have a problem with the plastic tank.
I still have the plastic tank. I took it off my bike at the first oil change. I'd part with it for $50.

From orbit via Android.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the offer but I would feel much better if I put an aluminum one on mine as well. Did the pre 2002 tank fit right in or did you have to modify it some? Thanks

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
It should fit right on..... FYI, I found one locally once and the guy wanted $65-75 if I remember right?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
cost!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
It should fit right on..... FYI, I found one locally once and the guy wanted $65-75 if I remember right?
Dang. That better be cleaned with a new gasket.
eBay $15http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=171258123196
My tank install...
Aluminum Oil Tank - Polaris ATV Forum
No it wasn't..... that's why I passed on it. That and I had just finished changing the oil and didn't want to do it again for no good reason!

Yah, I remember reading your thread..... that's what motivated me to look. A local guy on CL had older Popo parts. I asked about the AL tank, and that was the price I got back.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this is an ancient thread. But the 2002 Sportsman 400 that I have, always dripped oil. On further exam I noticed someone had tried to epoxy it previously. I took the old plastic tank off. I looked at my '02 500 HO and realized I could use a tank off that model that is aluminum, it bolts in original mounts. Main difference is that the 500 uses the banjo fitting where the bolt goes right through the fitting. The 400 uses the barb type hoses. I used the original fitting with the oil screen off the 400. That required re-tapping the tank bottom oil fitting to 1/2 inch pipe thread. The return line to 3/8. Also it required modifying the oil inlet as it is recessed under the tank on the 500 and can't twist the elbow fitting on. The tank cost me $15 bucks including freight on e-bay. It is a little more difficult to check the oil now. But, it's the same way as it is on the 500.. Also the aluminum tank is finned and will help cool the oil.. Perhaps this can help someone down the line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts