Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright first off Im a 20 year jurenyperson technician & modified plenty of engines but turboing a quad is a first.
Does anyone have any experience in turbo's & have any suggestions, do's or donts etc would be greatly appreciated.
My main concern is the carb. I know how picky they are & this concerns me & wonder if a flat slide would be better. I have been told tuning a flat slide on a 4 stroke may not be worth he effort, any suggestions?
Im rebuilding the engine & want to break it in before modifying it. . I have seen a couple videos of turbo'd quads 2 were sportsman's but they don't show or say how they did it. I know its ambitious but I love a challenge & the reward of having a turbo scrambler would be unreal & I want to slaughter those stupid Renegades.

P.S I will be taking progress picture but its a winter project so it may be slow going.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Best guy I know is Phil over on HCS. PatrioticInnovations is his screen name. He worked for one of the big 3 auto Mfgs for years and designed hundreds of turbo applications on everything from cars to weed whips. He's a little nuts that way. I'd check over there and see what he has to say for what size or model of turbo to use and what type of carb mods you need to do. Power jets will likely be the recommendation. I've put a couple on bikes, but they were kits already fabbed up and pretty self explanatory. Maybe search or some motorcycle turbo companies and modify one of their kits?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What have you done with the power jets?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I haven't put them in. That is what Phil recommends on most applications like this. They add more fuel as boost goes up. Just need the correct size for what you are doing. Unless you are fuel injected, then it's a whole different game.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
The thing I would be worried about turbo'ing a quad, is that most of us drive them in mud and water. So can a turbo handle the extreme temp changes of beign splashed or possibly submerged.
If you plan to ride dunes only or some other dry environment then disregard the above question.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The big question is will your engine be able to stand upto the turbo?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pm'd Phil with any luck he'll respond. As for turbo & heat in mud & water a well built one should have no problems handling it (within reason)there's also turbo shield's & wraps available they wont stop water/mud but will slow it down for less of a shock.
Im pretty sure with proper amounts of fuel & boost the 500HO is up to the task all though I would like to find a lower compression piston. I want to start with min boost pressures, thinking 5psi max.
All that said all the planning & research in the world is not like actually doing it.
I'm looking for some guidance & a starting point as far as cab, jetting, turbo size boost maybe inter cooling etc to start with, this is my first turbo attempt.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ridinagain I was able to contact Phil & after many e-mails I have learned a lot. Things I may have missed or learned the hard way & things I never thought off. So I think its on, now to start gathering parts. Anyone have any favorite online part stores to share?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
So what are your expectations for total Horsepower with the turbo,
60-80ish? I know the 750 fst Dragon (Poo four stroke sled) runs around 80something hp non turbo'd & 140hp turbo'd.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even 60HP would be fine nearly double, 80 would be ideal I would think it would be a monster at that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here she is going back together :veryhappy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts