Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1996 sportsman 500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, always wanted a quad and finally got one!!

Fuel is leaking from the float bowl under the carb, just a tiny drip, but consistent. I figured I’d try tearing the thing down and just putting it through a good cleaning and rebuild kit. But which rebuild kit do I buy???

its a ’96 sportsman 500
the manual says Mikuni 34mm, But no part numbers
Mikuni website has a million different carbs

Any suggestions to find the right kit? Or better idea than rebuilding a carb?

thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have used all balls carburetor rebuild kits in my 95 250 , 97 350 , and my 99 400 . They have worked great .

·
11,130 Posts
There are others like Shindy, All Balls, Hi Caliber that will work, but here's a link to a 100% Mikuni kit for your machine.

·
Registered
1996 sportsman 500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, I must suck at interneting because I could not find the right kit for the life of me. Thanks for your help guys. I'll write an update when I get it done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you haven’t messed with your carburetor yet just count how many turns in it takes to where the idle screw just barely bottoms out . That way you know where to start with the new one .

·
11,130 Posts
If you haven’t messed with your carburetor yet just count how many turns in it takes to where the idle screw just barely bottoms out . That way you know where to start with the new one .
Uhh... There's no reason to move the idle screw at all.
You're talking about the pilot screw for adjusting the air/fuel mixture for the pilot circuit. It has a base setting a certain number of turns out and is then fine tuned with the machine at operating temp.
The idle screw is simply set to wherever you want for the preferred idle rpm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts