Polaris ATV Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok, I got the new bracket in today and went and tore everything back apart. The bottom mount looked solid still, however, the top mount had a broken stud on the outer bolt side. Looked like a square peg and you could wiggle it around. I'm going to replace them both, even though the bottom looked solid. I'm guessing that is definitely the cause... or at least I hope so.馃檹 Last time I replaced that steel bracket, I did notice the motor wobbling more than when the bottom rear bracket was broke. I'm guessing it was putting all the stress on that broken top mount and making the engine wobble at idle. Thanks a lot to both Micshol and FPD218. Very helpful information! I will give you an update once I get it all put back together.

Premium Member
04 Sportsman 700, 04 Scrambler 500, 04 trail touring 550 sled
Worth popping the belt cover off and checking belt alignment with all this engine mount breakage. The engine mounts are one variable in belt alignment, which should be perfectly straight from primary to secondary, and about a credit cards worth of distance between the belt and the primary sheaves.

Reactions: Junk250

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Worth popping the belt cover off and checking belt alignment with all this engine mount breakage. The engine mounts are one variable in belt alignment, which should be perfectly straight from primary to secondary, and about a credit cards worth of distance between the belt and the primary sheaves.
Thanks a lot for this information. I was a little worried about this part, because I don't have the alignment tool that the service manual mentions. I'll pay extra attention to getting is as straight as possible and will do my best to ensure there is a credit card worth of distance between the belt and primary sheaves.

Premium Member
04 Sportsman 700, 04 Scrambler 500, 04 trail touring 550 sled
No alignment tools. Just eyeball it from the top, you can usually loosen the lower front engine mount and it has a slot for it to slide in and you can adjust there, then tighten it back down.

Reactions: Junk250

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Got everything back together, but had to go out of state for a job. The motor does seem a lot more steady, but the head still vibrates around like crazy. And if you look at the back motor mount bracket, it definitely moves around while idling. I could be over thinking it, since its mounted between rubber. So maybe its normal. But could there be anything else that could cause the motor to be unbalanced? That could be breaking both mounts? Or is it normal for the head to wobble a bit at idle? If I don't have the engine aligned enough, could the belt cause it to wobble more than normal etc? So far no belt slipping or coming off. But It just seems like it moves/vibrates to much. If you look at the head of the engine, it looks like you are seeing double cause it moves so much, instead of sitting there like its comfortable.. if that makes any sense. :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts