Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing through youtube the other day and I watched a comparison between a Polaris 850 Touring and a CanAm Outlander Max.

1 thing really caught my eye, it had an on-board air system. It's primary purpose was the air-adjustable rear suspension to level the load when 2-up, however it also had a fitting for an air hose under the seat.

Am I crazy or does having on-board air seem like a really good idea? Sure, I have the Slime air compressor kit with the 12v plug, but having it wired and installed just seems really cool.

Regular on-board air systems (think truck "helper" air bags or air lockers) would be way too big, but the little compressors and 1/2 gallon tanks used for air horns would almost be perfect...

I could mount it all in the box that slips into the hole where my passenger seat is supposed to go in my Touring.

Just thinking out loud here... Your opinions on having an on-board air system?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Not a bad idea..

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
679 Posts
I like the idea, but not sure I'd ever use it. Sure I wouldn't have to pack a small compressor, but I would not want to pay extra for it as a standard option. It would be too small to run air tools. If Popo's had some type of air suspension it would make sense to me. But even then, unless it was all plumbed/wired so all I had to do was hit a switch on my pod to ad or lessen the air in the suspension and not get off of my seat, that's the only way I would pay extra.

If you are thinking about doing it yourself, I say go for it and lets see some pics!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Most warranty claims on the limited and the XMR( which are the two packages that offer the air set up) are regarding the air compressor. I was considering the limited but as mentioned earlier, how much would you use it? I chose the XT max instead. That wheeler is almost $16000. I couldn't justify the extra $. Someday I will upgrade my shocks but it won't be air suspension. Purchase a good set of aftermarket tires and run the recommended air pressure and you will most likely eliminate the need for the compressor. Although I still carry the slime kit as well. Haven't used a plug since the big horns got mounted

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clarify, I'm not really considering adding an air suspension to my quad (though I think it's pretty nifty nonetheless).

I was thinking more for being able to deflate and inflate as needed on the trail, without having to break out the portable compressor. And of course for emergencies and repairs.

i.e. You get to some thick snow and want to air down your Bighorns to 2psi for the next few miles of trail. Then you get back to hard pack trails and you want to go back to 5-6psi. Now all you have to do is hook up your small hose to a fitting on the quad somewhere and air up.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not Canadian. Hell I'm from Arkansas man. The limited 1000 was $15400 I think when I bought this summer. It's got some cool features but damn that's a lot for a toy. And if your like me, your gonna just start modifying it to make it how you really want it anyways.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Not Canadian. Hell I'm from Arkansas man. The limited 1000 was $15400 I think when I bought this summer. It's got some cool features but damn that's a lot for a toy. And if your like me, your gonna just start modifying it to make it how you really want it anyways.
At 12K+ I am putting more mods into my Jeep. I guess I am getting old and caught in 2004 model year quad pricing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
larrya

I'm fairly new to this forum but upon reading the replys as to the question about air, I would like to know if anyone has put a pair of air shocks on their 850 2up? I've got some stock shocks off a Ranger on mine and they work ok but I think having air shocks would be a lot better. As one person said, to be able to air them up while sitting in the seat when traversing a trail with boulders you need to clear and then back down again when back on smooth trails or when riding 2 up or single. Has anybody done this or does anyone know anyone who's done this?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having thought about it a lot more, and having done a lot more research... I don't think it's worth it, at least to me.

I can carry around the Slime kit with the 12v plug compressor for no extra money or hassle involved. I researched compressors a lot, and the lowest-draw small, air-horn type compressors I could find were in the neighborhood of 30+ amps. That'll drain a battery pretty quickly. Not to mention routing all the wires and pressure lines... Not to mention worrying about having it exposed to everything we go through and shorting out when you need it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
larrya

Are you saying you have researched having air shocks and they aren't worth it or are you referring to something else? If you're saying the air shocks wouldn't be worth it, why? I think they would be the way to go as one other person said, if a person is going over rocks and has two people on the wheeler, just hit the onboard compressor and up you go. Might get you up an additional couple of inches to clear those taller boulders. Then once you're over that section of trail, just hit the switch again and back down you go. Want to go for a spin by yourself, just hit the switch for that comfortable smooth ride, just for one. Been riding around by yourself and want to take the wife or a passenger, just hit the switch and air up the shocks for that just right air pressure. I think all 2 up atv's should come out of the factory with them already on them. I would just like to talk with someone who has put them on an 850 so I can get some for mine. Know of any one?

·
Registered
54 Posts
As I mentioned in another reply, I think a person would use an air up/down feature on a set of air shocks alot. I know I would. I'd love to have some if only I could find them. I already have 2 sets of radials and adjust the air pressure in them according to the terrain I will be traveling on that day and who will be riding. But if I had air shocks, I could just air up the tires for a generic pressure and then use the switch for the onboard compressor to adjust the ride. I wouldn't have to be getting the shocks spanner wrench out every time which is a real pain in the you know what. With my 850, I find it's easier to adjust the shocks with the machine jacked up so I usually do the adjusting before I leave the house for the day. If I had air shocks, I'd leave the spanner wrench at home in my tool box drawer with all the rest of the tools I don't use any more.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you saying you have researched having air shocks and they aren't worth it or are you referring to something else? If you're saying the air shocks wouldn't be worth it, why? I think they would be the way to go as one other person said, if a person is going over rocks and has two people on the wheeler, just hit the onboard compressor and up you go. Might get you up an additional couple of inches to clear those taller boulders. Then once you're over that section of trail, just hit the switch again and back down you go. Want to go for a spin by yourself, just hit the switch for that comfortable smooth ride, just for one. Been riding around by yourself and want to take the wife or a passenger, just hit the switch and air up the shocks for that just right air pressure. I think all 2 up atv's should come out of the factory with them already on them. I would just like to talk with someone who has put them on an 850 so I can get some for mine. Know of any one?
I was saying that installing on-board air on my machine sin't worth it to me. It very well may be worth it to someone who intends on having air-adjustable shocks, but I have mine cranked up to the max setting and I like it that way. So I would just be adding on-board air as a tire repair type of item, not worth it to me.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The whole on board compressor idea sounds good on paper. But I think long term it would be a pain in the ass. Fittings leaking, air leaks, etc. Not to mention it getting all packed with mud.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The whole on board compressor idea sounds good on paper. But I think long term it would be a pain in the ass. Fittings leaking, air leaks, etc. Not to mention it getting all packed with mud.
Yep, that's why I'll stick with my plug-in air compressor that rides in my front cargo box.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Pricey upgrade for air shocks on Ranger.

Search Filter Results // Legend Air Suspensions

Not sure if they still do it but I'm trying to remember what they used in older Polaris 2-up sleds for adjustable rear suspensions. It was controlled by a handlebar switch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
To each his own. If I'm going to crank my shocks all the way up, heck why stop there? Air your tires up to 15 lbs and take all the foam out of your seat too while you're at it. And why buy a Polaris which is supposed to have the best ride? Why not buy one that's got the harshest ride out there? Jar your teeth loose. And scramble your brains too while you're at it. I'm guessing you probably have a low rider too and maybe an older Dodge pickup. Then too, you might drive a rock truck for a living. I'm kidding with all the above of course, but seriously? You really set your shocks all the way up? I'm 63 years old. I want the smoothest ride out there. I run radials and set the air pressure so that they aren't riding too stiff but aren't under inflated either. I set the shocks I do have at their lowest setting though stiff enough as not to bottom out. I'd like the air shocks so I can have an even better ride. And I'm not too worried about air fittings. I've had airshocks before on vehicles as well as air bags and I've never had an issue with fittings leaking air. And I avoid mud whenever possible. I'll go around a mud hole if possible and if I have to go through it, I take it slowly. I usually have the cleanest atv of the group at the end of the day. Takes less time to powerwash it when I get home. So I'm guessing other than the person who wrote mentioning pricey air shocks for a Ranger, none of you know anyone who has put airshocks on an atv.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have my shocks maxed out because the stiffer suspension suits my riding style, and I normally carry a fairly heavy payload. I'm 26, so my stiff (which, compared to Yamaha is still pretty soft) suspension doesn't affect me as much as it would those approaching their retirement years. ;)

Most folks that want air-adjustable shocks probably spring for the Cam-Am models that come with it from the factory.

·
Registered
54 Posts
But I don't want a Can Am, I like our Polaris. Besides, with less than 2000 miles, it's still new and looks like it. We have it fixed up like we want it except for the air shocks. I'm going to check with 4 wheel On line Monday and see if their Fox air shocks will fit our xp. If not, maybe they know of some that will. If they fit a Ranger, they'll fit our xp.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts