Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No doubt, I would take the Sportsman every time.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
has anyone done a ride comparison personally? the stats look good on paper but that is on paper. either Polaris is really sure of themselves or they are scared people will try the can am. I have not ridden a can am so I wont knock them. I do like that can am has a split braking system though. I also have a hard time believing that the Polaris gets 31 mpg. my 800 Couldnt do that. two sides to every story?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
sales literature at its best I suppose. Look at the source...if Ford put out a comparison vs Ram or Chevy do you think it would list anything the other was better at? Of course not. I mean c'mon...14 inch wheels are better than 12??? No way, now how are they better for aggressive riding in rough terrain. I cant stand my 14 inch wheels and if it was possible, they would be replaced with 12's in a second.

The Outlander does not have separate brakes..the rene does. Only way to determine which is "better" for you is to ride both for yourself. I have ridden my buddy's 1000xxc and I have a 2014 850, so not apples to apples as I havent ridden a Polaris 1000 yet...but both brands have their plusses and minuses

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I guess I read the comparison wrong. Polaris listed single lever 4 wheel discs while they broke down the can am by front and rear. I agree that 12" wheels are better and in my opinion I believe that molded color plastics are more durable finish wise than painted plastic. It is well written polaris propaganda meant to sway the fencewalkers their way. And I personally like the yellow. Always have. And at that price level the $250 difference really doesn't come into play.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The painted plastic is much more durable than molded in plastic color, at least Can Am plastic. Can Am plastic scratches really easily, and looks horrible after just one ride. I just sold a 2012 Sportsman Orange Madness with painted plastic, and it looked really good, even after three years.

I've owned a 2012 Outlander 1000, and now own a 2015 Sportsman 1000 XP. I think the Sportsman is a much better machine. The handling and suspension really set it apart, and the Sportsman has more power as well. The Outlander is way too softly sprung, and is way too wallowy. It can get down right spooky on steep mountainsides.

·
Registered
97 Posts
No one can do a ride comparison but yourself!!! Its simple buy what you like, Im a long time polaris fan simply because its never let me down & I love the ride. I could give a rats azz about what some other guy said about either quad. Im so sick of people saying that the can am can go farther in the mud faster on the grid etc etc etc!!!! TRUTH BE TOLD, they are 2 different company's with 2 different ideas(not including the others). Put the same tires on a outy & a xp with same driver & then maybe we can get a close comparison but even then its only close.
We all have different tastes & thats what drives the company's to stay competitive & if all company's were the same then we wouldn't have advancements in technology & the atv life would be boring!!!!!!! Among other things.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Seat time is what made me buy the Sportsman... There was a 3K difference between the 850XP and the Can AM 1000 that I was looking at. That played into it as well.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I test rode both when I bought my scrambler. The scrambler just felt better than the outlander xtp, the ergos were the biggest difference as I felt like I was riding on top of the outlander...power was very close to the same.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The painted plastic is much more durable than molded in plastic color, at least Can Am plastic. Can Am plastic scratches really easily, and looks horrible after just one ride. I just sold a 2012 Sportsman Orange Madness with painted plastic, and it looked really good, even after three years.

I've owned a 2012 Outlander 1000, and now own a 2015 Sportsman 1000 XP. I think the Sportsman is a much better machine. The handling and suspension really set it apart, and the Sportsman has more power as well. The Outlander is way too softly sprung, and is way too wallowy. It can get down right spooky on steep mountainsides.
I agree 100%. I traded my 2010 Sportsman 550 Touring for a 2014 Outlander Max XT 1000 and I wish I waited for the Sportsman 1000 Touring to come out. The heat that comes off the Outlander is crazy and the suspension is terrible. Even at the stiffest position is it bottoming out all the time where my Polaris at the stock position never did.

·
Registered
47 Posts
has anyone done a ride comparison personally? the stats look good on paper but that is on paper. either Polaris is really sure of themselves or they are scared people will try the can am. I have not ridden a can am so I wont knock them. I do like that can am has a split braking system though. I also have a hard time believing that the Polaris gets 31 mpg. my 800 Couldnt do that. two sides to every story?
Popo 800's are gas guzzlers, at least mine was and it didnt help it had a small gas tank. Can Am 1000 is a gas guzzler too, burns around 33% more fuel than my 850, so I can see the popo 1000 being better on fuel, but i doubt anyone will ever see 31mpg though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts