Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so hello. I was thinking of upgrading my yamaha grizzly 550 to a grizzly 700, then I started looking at the Polaris 850 HO EPS.... What do you all like about your Polaris? I'm looking for honest strengths and weaknesses not Polaris versus Yamaha bashing. My main reason for upgrading is I want to add tracks this fall and I want to make sure I have enough power to bomb around in the New Hampshire snow :)

thanks,
Lesn8r

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
First of all, know that they are both great rides and I think you'd be satisfied with either of them.

That being said : the Polaris and grizzly will ride very differently. I personally feel the Polaris ride is better for my style, especially the XP. They feel less tippy. The engagement is also different and many folks who come from other brands take a while to adjust. By any chance, have you been out on an XP yet?

The power steering on the Polaris is a better unit as well. More powerful on a whole if that is something you'll be interested in (figure with tracks you would be).

The Polaris will require a little more work on your part in terms of upkeep if you want to keep it tip-top. Yamis are more low maintenance in that regard. And in my opinion, and it is only an opinion, yamahas have less problems overall. Polaris utilizes more technology and is smoother, this requires maintenance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well get off the fence and get on one!

Here's a video of a 550xp on tracks so you can check out what it's capable of... The 850xp has even more power! I got it from Yokochrist' YouTube channel... I hope he doesn't mind... He's also a member here. It's in Minnesota, so I would imagine the amount of snow would be similar...

Enjoy!

Great power, ride, clearance, ps...

Poor axles, some 4x4 diff issues are the main problems... All can be fixed by going aftermarket and by knowing when to say when and pull out the winch/strap...

I am really happy with my bike and would pull the trigger again in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
222 Posts
All of the above plus...Polaris doesn't have the diff lock button. When you select 4x4 it locks all 4 wheels and still allows for turning without the step of diff lock on and off. This way you can have power to all 4 and still turn without breaking axles.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Bgirard420 hit it on the head above. My neighbor has 2012 grizzly 700 and it is a very low maintenance quad. It does everything well, but not great, and has no glaring weaknesses, except overall power. The grizzly is much more nimble on the trail, as it is about 125lbs lighter and that is easily felt on the trail. The clutch on the grizzly is way different also...engages at lower rom and uses a sprague clutch so they tend to not wear out belts. To me, the riding position is too cramped though. Seat is too short and the bars r no good. It feels very tippy to me also.

The xp is a much larger, heavier machine. Rides smoother and will walk away from the grizzly in a straight line race. The seating position and ergos on the xp r far better imo. The grizzly hasn't been updated in 4 years or so...maybe they finally come out with a twin?? If Yamaha came out with a 750 or 850 twin and lengthened the wheelbase a touch, I would be very interested in it as they r ultra reliable and just seem to work well. U need to ride both and see which one feels better to you

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Agreed with all above. The XP far outrides and outpowers a grizzly. Also has better ergos and styling in IMO. Yamaha still looks like it was built in 1986. However they are a generally bullet proof machine with way less maintenance. My 96 timberwolf has a zillion miles on it and has needed nothing more than tires, brakes, and a little grease now and then. Pretty sure I will never be able to kill it. Legendary Yamaha reliability also comes with it's price. I chose the XP this time after riding almost everything. Grizzly, XP, King Quad, Rincon, and Brute Force. The Honda was a very close runner up to the XP and I'd say a near tie to the Yamaha. The ride quality and HP won out on the Polaris for me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,

Thanks for the thoughtful inputs. I'm test driving an 850XP EPS tomorrow, I'll post my impressions.

thanks again,
Lesn8r

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The test drive was awesome! First, you have to love a dealership that will pull a couple machines out and let you go play. This is DGNMotorsports in Milford, NH. I was quite impressed with both the 550 and 850 xp machines but fell in love with the power of the 850. The power-steering was great and the acceleration was great! Overall I am quite impressed with the Polaris XP's. I'm really quite enamored with the 850 Stealth LE :) I see a couple in my near future!

Cheers,
Lesn8r

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Several have mentioned the Grizzlies feeling 'tippy'. Go to the Yamaha forum and check out the G.R.O.C. That stands for Grizzly Roll Over Club. My neighbor rolled his down a mountain here not long after I told him about the GROC.
I ride with him and one other guy with a Grizzly. My 500 goes anywhere they do with the 650 and 700.
Polaris has by far the better ride quality. We have traded machines and I didn't care for the way they handled.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Several have mentioned the Grizzlies feeling 'tippy'.
It's funny...I rode my friends 2010 700 and he has ITP SS102 with the 4+3 offset. It didn't feel too bad but when I rode somebody's stock 2012 700 the other day I had no problem getting it on 2 wheels while on flat ground. I can't say I can easily do that with either of my sportsmen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts