Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading and trying to find an answer to this but so far not working.
This is a 96 sportsman 500 and was missing right front axle when I got it. I replaced the axle and strut bearings and wheel brgs. The armature plates are both magnatized when in gear and awd button is in. All wheels spin when in the garage but not in the snow. The rollers are free to move in the cage.
The coil and outer sleeve? are loose on the strut, held on by some blue permatex or locktight? Could this be the problem?
Any help is greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
had the same issue with my 2000 sp500. If the armeture plates are scored at all it could cause this...replaced mine and eveything works well....make sure to keep the lube filled properly and that the band around the inner workings is OK (cant think of the name of that spring band....I'll bet a new armeture plate solves your problem....$10 part

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the replies !!! I really don't know where I am with this thing right now, I had good magnetism on both armature plates making me think it is mechanical so I swapped the cage with the rollers from one side to the other and it didn't make a difference. Now I don't have good magnetism on either side. I have power to the white wire on the left side and the brown wire on the right side. Not sure if this is right or not. Just going to walk away from it for the weekend :nixweiss::nixweiss:

·
Registered
151 Posts
this is going to be an easy fix...I can feel it

try swapping armeture plates. When I took mine apart my first thought was that everything looked good...after pulling my hair out for several days I finally gave in and got the new armeture plate(s).....Viola! fixed the issue with the left hub not engaging (it was actually engaging intermittantly in the field and almost always engaged when the atv was on jack stands) do a search on this post ( 2000 polaris sp 500 front hub ) or do an advanced search for my handle (gsbeers) and scroll down to find that post and you fill begin to feel where I was at last year with this same problem and you can read some of the replies from the really cool dudes on this site (you all are awesome!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts