Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this weekend I had my 96 Xplorer 400 4x4 at the farm to get around and what not. I hopped on it to head to the logging site, and half way there got stuck in the sand cause only one rear wheel had power. If you're sitting on it the right rear tire is the one that is dead. The left side still has power.

Now, before you say, just kick the 4wd on, I busted the front sprocket a few weeks ago, and still have to replace it. I just don't see anywhere for the rear axle to lose power. I know someone else has had this problem. How do I fix it? :confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
If i remember right, the 96 400 was a straight axle unit. If that's the case there is one thing i would check, since your right tire wouldn't spin, i'm gonna guess that the hub tore the splines out. I'd take your right wheel off and take a look at the hub, should be pretty noticable. Let me know if that helps.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Does the wheel have a little wobble to it?If it does then I agree about the hub being spun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check it today, we got rained out at the job, so I'll throw the wheeler in the garage and take a look. I take it the hub is aluminum and the axle is steel?

And I've looked but, anyone else replaced the front sprocket on one of these? I'm thinking its a 2 hour job with a 6 pack. Anyone done it before?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it really that bad? Somebody wanna give me an overview of the job? I'm just thinking if its that hard I might as well have my buddy who is a Yamaha mechanic do it. I'm sure I could do it, but it might take a weeks worth of evenings to get it done the way you guys are talking. And I did pull the hub, it was beyond shot... Went to 2 dealers to try and get a new hub, neither of them had it in stock, so I ordered it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
It shouldn't be that bad.Its just nice to have the extra beer on hand:beer: Or you can have your buddy do it and you can kick back to watch and drink up all the beer :trink4: :kidding::rofl:

·
Registered
108 Posts
motoroilmccall, i'll grab a manual later and try to pm you tonight, it is quite a bit of work, but it can be done. as long as your willing to work and have some patience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm always willing to work... Part of that farm life attitude. Looks like its a pain, but not horrible. Pull the wheel/tire, CV axle, possibly the shock/spring, chain guard, and a few other things, I think I can get it done.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The real trick is to make sure all the chains have good tension when it's said and done. Having the right pull on the sprockets will help save them the next time around.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i'm gettin ready to change the front sprocket as well on my 96 400 ...........I've got the beer ready, but, I'd say i'm gonna need a pm as well from the hunter with some advice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I still haven't pulled the thing apart yet. I haven't gotten the rear hub yet, but thats the only thing I'm waiting for. Once that comes in I'll bang the whole thing out in one shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts