Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a smaller 300cc unit I'm working on. It sat for a while, so I took the carb out and took it apart and cleaned it very well. Put the unit back together and put in new spark plug and battery (those things ain't cheap! Man!). I also tried to crank it with the gas line disconnected from the carb to see that gas was pumping. With the machine put back together, I can only get it cranked and only keep it running if I'm spraying starting fluid into the air intake.

Any ideas why? I've got gas, spark, and air. Do I need to redo the carb again?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
554 Posts
If it runs on starting fluid, you're not getting gas. (Also use carb cleaner instead of starting fluid, it works fine and is easier on the engine). Is the float bowl on the carb filling. The float valve could be stuck. Are you sure the jets are clear. It might look clean, but have clogged jets.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'll second the idea of not getting gas.... if it ran fine before it was parked, something must still be incorrect in the carb rebuild. Also, don't use to much starting fluid.... or you'll have bigger problems!

Is the gap on the plug set right? Intake boot cracked or not put back on correctly / not sealed?

·
Registered
373 Posts
check that the fuel pump is pumping enuff, ive had 2 that just dribbled out, replaced the pump & it gushes. try this trick i have come up with. get a empty clear 20oz soda bottle, put the feed line in bottle & crank over for 30 secs, should fill bottle almost half way, if not, the pump is weak

·
Registered
309 Posts
If it is a 2 stroke I would not use starting fluid on it. Seen to many 2 strokes with holes burned in the top of the piston from the intense heat from starting fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Back out the drain screw on the carb bowl and see if fuel comes out.

Any chance you swapped the fuel and pulse lines At the carb or pump?

Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts