Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone i am new to the site and have a couple of questions. my atv starter died on me a couple moths ago and i finally bought a new one for it on ebay. i hooked evrything up and the motor crank but would only spark once then nothing till u turned it off then cranked it over again, after pulling off the fly wheel and checking grounds now it only sparks when i turn it off. im stumped any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any chance i could have something back wards cause now it is only sparking when i stop cranking and go to the off position

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try to go from the top here. Now the quad ran fine, then stopped starting because of starter and after replacement and you found it only sparked if you turned the key off then back on? Nothing else was taken apart? If not then it has to be with the starter work, so messing with the flywheel shouldn't be needed, but since it changed after the flywheel work, now what has been altered? Did you forget to hook up a ground wire on the starter? Did you pinch any wires when putting things back together? What kind of starter is it , new quality or Chinese? Used oem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the starter broke a year or so ago and i was using the pull start then it broke so i bought a new starter now its only sparking when the key goes to the off position

·
Registered
30 Posts
You had to have put something on backward or shorted something out when taking things apart to replace starter. There is no reason for that to change just by putting in a new starter. Look carefully at the thing and remember just what was messed with when doing the starter. Without physically being there I don't think it's possible to diagnose this online.

What kind of starter is it? If it was a cheap brand maybe it is shorting out or drawing all the juice available and not letting the rest with enough to function.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts