Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! i am brand new to this site and am learning a lot as i go.

I wanted to know what people think of polaris's 95 magnum 425 4X4 four stroke atv.

I just bought one about a month ago, it has about 3800 miles.
So far i have had to replace the rear drive chain, fuel valve, all of the fuel lines, and all of the light bulbs.
Also, the rear brake doesn't work, havent had a chance to figure out why yet.

It seems to be a great ATV, now that some of the problems are fixed.

So what is everyones opinion on this atv? Good, reliable? or bad, dont buy one?

Also, does anyone know what the top speed is on a stock 95 425 4X4 magnum?

Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've got a 98 magnum 425 4x4. I like it a lot. It's only got 1,000 miles on it though. On a clear day I've had it up to between 50-55.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also wanted to know if anyone knows how many miles this atv usually lasts?

And does anyone know if there is some type of exhaust upgrade avalible for this atv?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool! Thanks for the reply! I wasn't sure how fast they go, to be honest I'm impressed, I was thinking 40-45!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NORDFORD: What are the "vulnerable" spots on this ATV? Places i should watch for in terms of maintenance.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I love a 425 Magnum. See my user name tt425. Keep oil changed,chains oiled and adjusted,grease all alemites(don't forget the alemite that is where the trans shaft sprockets are.)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This may be a dumb question, but what is an "alemite"?
Thanks for your reply! Sounds like I got a nice machine!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but what is an "alemite"?
Thanks for your reply! Sounds like I got a nice machine!
It is a grease fitting.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, i thought that was what it might be, but i wasn't sure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm loving this atv, after fixing some of the problems it is holding up very well! Just need some new tires soon and replace the front shocks (they are leaking) (and maybe a DG exhaust and uni or k&n air filter) it will be a close to flawless machine!! (Besides a few cosmetic things like scratches in the paint or missing paint that rubbed off)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wanted to ask, what kind of fuel efficiency are people getting on the new sportsman's?

This is a four stroke (unlike most of the atvs back then which were 2 strokes) so I feel like it is pretty efficient, it will go approx. 60miles on a tank, but I was wondering how efficient the new machines are now a days being EFI and better engineered. Obviously engine size is a big factor to fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
45 Posts
They're excellent four wheelers. I have two of them. Easy to work on, good solid machines. And I like the solid rear axle.

My oldest one has 5600 miles on it and going strong. I bought it in 1998, and have never had a serious maintenance issue with it. You take care of yours, and it'll take care of you.

Big Dog

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Magnum425er, Thanks for the reply, I love hearing from other magnum owners!

I agree with you on the fact that they are easy to work on, there isn't all that plastic covering everything like there is on the new machines.

So far no huge issues here either, the most recent "significant" thing i had to replace recently was the carburetor diaphragm.

Recently I put a UNI air filter in mine, and if you haven't done that yet i HIGHLY recommend it, it accelerates a lot easier now and runs smoother, i didn't expect any difference, but it made a pretty big difference.

On Monday I am taking it to the local mechanic to have the front shocks replaced because they are leaking and it is leaning to the right a bit now. I am replacing it with High Performance gas shocks, can't wait to see how it rides after these new shocks are installed! I'm also having them look at my rear or "auxiliary" brake because it doesn't work, i think the pads may be worn down. I already replaced my engine oil, and put a new E3 spark plug in, haven't changed the radiator fluid yet, but i'm not really worried about that, the engine isn't overheating, so it must be working! :D
I tried to replace the trans oil but i couldn't get that darn drain plug out, so i guess ill have to have the dealer do that too. :(

I want to repaint my exhaust soon as well as my racks because the exhaust is rusted (like most older Polaris ATVs) and the paint is starting to fall off the racks.

I thought i would hate the chain drive (vs shaft), but it doesn't need to be adjusted as often as i thought, (i only have to adjust the rear chain like once every few months) and overall is pretty easy to maintain.

Happy Riding! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased one of these new and I still have it. I would consider myself a light user of this machine. The only issues I have had with this are the temp sensor for the fan, the fuel valve, and the fuel pump. All three I fixed myself.
As far as performance my Sportsman 500 beats it, but it does keep up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I replaced my own front shocks a couple of winters ago, and put HD springs on it because of the snow plow. She stands tall now. :eek:). Pretty easy to do if you don't want to spend the money.

Brake pads are easy too.

I put a K&N filter on mine without changing the jet. Ran like crap. Ended up changing the main Jet, and putting the K&N back on. More acceleration, but loaded up on the low end and sucked a tank dry in about two days. Went back to stock.

I like chains. Have never had a problem with them. I lube them only when I think about it and only check adjustments occasionally. Shafts rob too much HP in my opinion.

I pull a disk on food plots, have pulled Elk out if the Colorado mountains and have even pulled cars. Never a problem with chains.

Even towed John Deere Gators and other ATV's home. :eek:)

I had a stuck oil drain plug at last oil change. I broke out the old smoke wrench and heated the case and plug, melted a wax candle around the plug, then reheated the case around the plug and iced the plug. Popped right loose.

Those of us with Magnums love them. Excellent ATV's. I may add a different ATV some day, but I'll never replace one of my Magnums. They have a home until they die (probably take a while).

Big Dog

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys, I have another question, late August I posted about lack of speed,(thread title if you want to read it is PVT help/lack of speed, or search my name, 1995magnum) well problem solved about 2 weeks later. However one of the thing the local mechanic told me could cause a lack of speeed was the cam wearing down which is apparently a common problem with these oldre polaris 4-stokes. Well mine is in good condition (thank god since they cost $200-300 and then messing with timing, well you get the point, lots of work and costs a lot to fix) but I was wondering if there is any way to prevent it from wearing down? Or is it just something that naturally happens and there is no way to prevent it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
To prevent camshaft wear change oil regularly, always use 0W-40 Mobil 1 synthetic oil or Polaris oil with a quality filter. Check oil before every ride. Make sure oil level is not overfull. Smell of dipstick to make sure gas is not getting into the engine beacuse of a bad or sticky float needle. A bad float needle will cause carb to flood and dump gasoline into the crankcase and thin the oil and cause premature camshaft failure.
Chain maintaince is important to. Keep chains lubricated with chain lube. Replace sprockets when they become hook shaped.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tt425, what does over full oil do?
I recently changed my oil and only drained and refilled the oil tank by the left front wheel, but did not drain any oil from the bottom of the engine crankcase. I added the 2 bottles of polaris synthetic oil and changed the oil filter. I think it is just a tad over the full line...
I didn't think it mattered a lot because the oil is pumped to the engine and doesn't sit in the engine like a small engine on a mower. Like I said, its just a tad over the full line.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
By overfull I mean making sure the float don't stick open and dump gas into the engine.
To change oil: I drain the tank, leave the plug out,turn the key on, press the start button momentarly(DO NOT allow engine to start),turn key off, replace drain plug, remove and replace the oil filter,fill with 2 qts. 0W-40 oil, replace dipstick and you are finished.
By the starter turning the engine over it allows the oil that is in the bottom of the crankcase to be pumped out. It is easier to do that than using the crankcase drain.
I hope you understand what I am talking about.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tt425, I understand what you are talking about in terms of cranking the engine to get oil out & as far as gas, I don't thing my carb is leaking, ill have to smell the dipstick like you mentioned above.
My question was revolving around the overfull oil. As I said above I think mine is just a tad over the full line because I put the 2 full quarts of polaris oil in and did NOT crank the engine or drain any oil out of the crankcase. I just drained it out of the oil tank by the wheel.
My question was is if the oil is just a little over full how does it affect the engine? Because obviously the engine is pumping the oil from the tank to the crankcase and through the oil filter then back to the oil tank. The oil isn't just like your typicall small engine (like on a lawn mower for example) where it sits in the bottom of the crankcase, you fill it at the crankcase and drain it from the crankcase, no seperate oil tank.
I hope that clears up my question a bit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts