Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
It will be fine. If I remember correctly, the crankcase usually only holds about an extra 4-6 ounces after draining the tank.
I will send you a PM also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In airplanes, we used to use a product called Lenkheight (sp). Kind of like Slick 50, but without the Teflon that could break off and plug oil passages.

It bonded to the metal parts at the molecular level and would create a protective layer. One testimony was of a Cessna 170 that blew an oil line over the mountains and was able to fly 25 minutes out of the mountains with no oil pressure.

That would probably protect your cam.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's awesome, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Does anyone know what type of gas I can be using in my magnum?

I've run premium so far but as I found out this winter with my indy 500 I can use 89 octane.

So which is best for my machine? I've heard 89 (with my snowmobile) can actually get you more power. Around here we have the option of 87, 89, and 92(premium).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I run Premium without Ethanol with no problems. Stay away from gas with any alcohol in it.

I just rebuilt a 97 425 Magnum that sat for a year and a half. Ethanol does UGLY things to our quads.

Big Dog

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Magnum425er, do you think 89 octane will be fine if i use it right away?
When my quad sits for an extended period of time (like winter) i usually put premium and sea foam in it.

But in summer i usually go through gas pretty quickly, what are the risks of gas with ethanol?

I think 87 & 89 around here have 10% ethanol, 92 doesn't.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You probably won't have a problem, but I have heard of folks putting Sta-bil in the fuel any time they use Ethanol. Problem is that fuel containing Ethanol goes bad a lot faster than non-Ethanol fuel.

Why not just pay the extra few cents and get Ethanol free premium? I use it in my 1948 Ford 8N tractor too, and don't have any problems.

Ethanol will soften rubber components of older fuel systems. It apparently also gums crap up easier with varnish and all kinds of nasties if it sets too long in the machine.

Short term, you probably wouldn't have any problems. I just remember cleaning and rebuilding the carb, replacing the fuel pump, tank valve and every inch of fuel line on the Magnum I bought because it set with half a tank of Ethanol in it.

If cost is the issue, you might be able to find lower octane fuel in your area without Ethanol. I can tell you how to test the fuel at the pump with an Olive jar if you want to know how.

Big Dog

·
Registered
5 Posts
Need Help!

I have a 95 magnum 425 I bought a new drive chain( middle not back or front) And it is a half link short?!? Cant figure out why. OEM chain adjusted both front and back to try an get some lee way. But cant figure it out. Half link?

·
Registered
5 Posts
concentric? you mean the tightner there is lil to no adjustment on those two sprockets. that I can see. shouldn't be wrong chain ordered it from spec sheet on Polaris web site

·
Registered
45 Posts
There's actually a lot of adjustment. You have to loosen the front chain first.

Stick a 5/8 socket through the skid plate and loosen the front tightener, where the front axles connect. Rotate it back by sticking a punch into the hole and rock the machine.

Then loosen the middle chain concentric also. If you look at the shaft running through it you'll notice that its off center. Rotate it to move the sprocket rearwards or forwards.

Tighten center chain first, then front.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, let me know. Post if you have any questions. It's really easy when you get into it.

DON'T take the front chain guards off like the book says. Stick your head up under the front and you will see the tightening bolt for the front adjuster through one of the holes in the skid plate. You can reach it with a 5/8 deep socket and an extension.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks!

Magnum425er!

Thanks for your help. im all done chains on and tight! for the first time in years. was a lil hard to get the tightner to turn but I got it .

magnumguy

21 - 35 of 35 Posts