Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says...I am looking at getting new tires for my '13 850 XP EPS.

I will be going 27x9-14 f and 27-11-4 r

I ride mainly wooded trails, with soft, intermediate and some hard dirt. Fire roads, a little bit of blacktop. I try to steer clear of the mud, but sometimes it can't be avoided here in West TN.

So main needs, great trail traction, hills, etc... but not worthless for the unavoidable mud.

Between the two, which would you choose?
Also, If you have a different tire from the two I am looking at that you think would be a great fit, throw it out there.

I am not interested in the STI Black Diamond XTR...To me they are ugly as sin...sorry to you guys that love them.

I know there are mixed feelings on XTR's and ITP in general, I personally have had great luck with ITP.

I have searched here for info on the EVO's and didn't find much.
Thanks for any input folks!

-Tim

·
Registered
190 Posts
I run xtrs I like them I've always been interested in the Evos, but I can't seem to find any reviews on them. I found a set of them on cragslist a while back for 400 but they sold before I got to get them. I think the Xtr is hard to beat I'm about to get another set of them but the main reason I'm getting them again is because my busy has 2 rears that are brand new he got them at a used tire place. They were cut down but the holes aren't big at all and I can't tell that they go l the way through. So I'm gonna get them and buy 2 new fronts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Guess ill try plugging them and run some slime. If they can be saved I would rather deal with a plug than pay $300+ for the rears

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I am in the same boat with trying to find reviews on them as well.

I have had a set of XTR's, but that was years ago when they first came out. They were an all around good tire thought.

Plug them things and ride 'em.

Anybody else got any input?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Those are two very different tires... The XTR is more of a mud tire that is okay on the trail, and from what I can tell from limited reviews the Blackwater is a trail tire that doesn't really shine anywhere except maybe rocks.

A lot of people here like the GBC Grim Reaper and the GBC Spartacus tires. The Grim Reaper is more of a trail tire that does well in rocks, and the Spartacus is a trail tire that excels in mud, though both can hold their own in just about any terrain. Both are tough 8-ply radials, both are highly regarded here and on other forums. I'm putting 27" Spartacus tires under my 850 Touring later this year.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jg...I will look into these two as well.
Do you know where they are made?
I e-mailed them, but haven't heard back yet.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Most tires are made in china ,Thailand...except ITP..Cralisle...Titan...Pitbulls...and maybe one other...

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
If money isn't a big issue and you're looking for made in USA, pit bull growlers are a great trail tire. You can get them in an 8 ply if being tough is a consideration.

Xtrs are a decent tire too, but the sidewalls are a little weak in comparison to similar tires.

I have the Spartacus on my 500 and love them!! Tough as nails and ride very smoothly for a "mud" tire. The reapers are the same tire as the Spartacus just with a different tread pattern.

I've been doing research for new sneakers and my 850 and I keep going back to the reapers and growlers.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
my mud lites on my suzuki started leaking from side walls...little cracks in them..3 years old....I had to tube all the tires....sidewalls are very thin I think....

·
Registered
234 Posts
A guy I ride with has Mudlites and his side walls must have 20 holes in them. (between all 4 tires)

He is hard on em.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My xtrs have prob 5000 miles on them and only have one gash in the side wall I think there pretty tough. Regular mudlites are not that tough I'm my opinion

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks to all who have been taking a moment to offer some information!

If money isn't a big issue and you're looking for made in USA, pit bull growlers are a great trail tire. You can get them in an 8 ply if being tough is a consideration.

Xtrs are a decent tire too, but the sidewalls are a little weak in comparison to similar tires.

I have the Spartacus on my 500 and love them!! Tough as nails and ride very smoothly for a "mud" tire. The reapers are the same tire as the Spartacus just with a different tread pattern.

I've been doing research for new sneakers and my 850 and I keep going back to the reapers and growlers.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

Wow those dang Pitbulls are EXPENSIVE…however I read their "about us" on their website, and it sounds like a solid american company.
:: PIT BULL TIRES :: ABOUT US

Now to read about the Rocker and Growler.

Here is a clip from there about us

"Our parent company has been in the same family for almost 70 years and because we are an American family-owned business, we do our best to have all of our Pit Bull products designed & made here in the United States. It costs more money, but it saves jobs…and it is our belief that if we all look out for one another, then everyone wins. We are willing to spend more money to have our tires produced in the United States, and we feel that many Americans feel the same way as we do.

Along the same lines, we believe in supporting those who defend our freedom and wish to take this opportunity to say "Thank You" to all those men and women who are currently serving or have served our country in the past. Without you the world wouldn't be the same.

We believe in Freedom, the Constitution including the Right to bear arms and Freedom of speech. We firmly believe that every person needs to live by the Golden Rule and be accountable for their words and deeds regardless of circumstances. These are the things we try to live by and this is how we try to run our business."

Sounds like a company I should try to do business with!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah, and just as a note…GBC is starting to fall off my list, only because I emailed them with a few questions and I have yet to hear anything back!
I won't write them off just yet, but if I don't hear anything by the end of the week, they will officially not be on the list forever!

I will let y'all know if and when I hear back from them.

·
Registered
650 Posts
No problem's in over 4 yrs running these XTR's in South Louisiana...trail's...mud...and of course sand!

·
Registered
118 Posts
PawPaw .. What size XTR's do you have there?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update:
GBC is off my list...took two weeks to get a response and I was told they were made in Indonesia.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
ITP tires are made by carlisle...I wonder if Carlisle makes the other tires also at their factory for others since its a full blown tire manufactuer..just makes to their specs and rubber formula...Carlisle I believe has been around for 70 years ..my go kart had carlisle tires on it...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I dont know about the Blackwaters but I put on a set of 27" XTRs on my 850 a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love them. Granted where I ride is a lot of mud, not deep mud bogging mud but still muddy trails. First day out I was in 2wd the whole day and had no problems at all. I will say though it is going to suck for whoever is behind you when to XTRs start spinning in mud because they throw it like crazy.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I had xtr's and liked them, but switched to go taller. Good all around tires.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts