Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing a Scrambler 4x4 400 for $1000. It needs a headgasket but that looks to be an easy and cheap job. I was just looking for some honest opinions on them and what to look out for or anything I could do to the quad to prevent problems in the future with it. Also some opinions on cool mods to do to the Scramblers, mostly cosmetic to kind of make it my own and some minor cheap performance upgrades. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing a Scrambler 4x4 400 for $1000. It needs a headgasket but that looks to be an easy and cheap job. I was just looking for some honest opinions on them and what to look out for or anything I could do to the quad to prevent problems in the future with it. Also some opinions on cool mods to do to the Scramblers, mostly cosmetic to kind of make it my own and some minor cheap performance upgrades. Thanks for any input!
What year? I have a 2000 that my son rides. I recommend doing piston and rings while you are in there. Stock piston and rings likes to explode the skirt off and then you have a huge job. You will enjoy the 2 stroke but it is thirsty.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What year? I have a 2000 that my son rides. I recommend doing piston and rings while you are in there. Stock piston and rings likes to explode the skirt off and then you have a huge job. You will enjoy the 2 stroke but it is thirsty.
I had one a few years back and the piston actually cracked, ended up ruining the bottom end as well. Needless to say I wasn't a huge fan of it...but with any 2-stroke, you'll have to do piston/rings every now and then.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
[/QUOTE]

I had one a few years back and the piston actually cracked, ended up ruining the bottom end as well. Needless to say I wasn't a huge fan of it...but with any 2-stroke, you'll have to do piston/rings every now and then.[/QUOTE]

My sons engine is at Ritter Cycle Racing right now getting complete rebuild. Piston came apart and cracked middle crankcase. I figure it's cheaper than new atv and rest is in good shape. Before this it was fuel, injector oil, and ride. I LOVE the Polaris 2 strokes. Polaris pistons are known for losing the skirt so that's why I recommended wiseco.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, I went Wiseco when I rebuilt it. Looking back on it, it's hard to get upset about a 10+ year old 2 stroke needing a new piston/rings...haha

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Both of my scramblers are pretty well bulletproof. The 500 4 stroke has actually been more maintenance than the 400 2 stroke. My kids love them and they have cost me little to no money other than fluid changes and front hub seals in the 5 or 6 years we have owned them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Really hard to beat the value of them too...for what it is, getting 4x4 at that price is great. And most obstacles that they can't handle, they're nimble enough to get around (and as a result can go where most Sportsmans go). Great way to get into riding IMO

·
Registered
854 Posts
They are great fairly trouble free quads mine is a 2x4 but you will need to probably replace the chains and sprockets also keep an eye on the swing arm bushings which mine are still original and good and the front steering stem bushings which I replaced.

They are easily modified to make 50-60 plus horsepower and be one of the faster quads on your ride since they are typically around 500 pounds. Definitely put a Wiseco piston in there and look to Rick Ritter at RCR for possible high performance mods like Trail porting pipe and clutching that matches.

also check out gen3usa.com the Scrambler/Sport/Trail Blazer forum! :)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
They are great fairly trouble free quads mine is a 2x4 but you will need to probably replace the chains and sprockets also keep an eye on the swing arm bushings which mine are still original and good and the front steering stem bushings which I replaced.

They are easily modified to make 50-60 plus horsepower and be one of the faster quads on your ride since they are typically around 500 pounds. Definitely put a Wiseco piston in there and look to Rick Ritter at RCR for possible high performance mods like Trail porting pipe and clutching that matches.

also check out gen3usa.com the Scrambler/Sport/Trail Blazer forum! :)
Good thing my son isn't reading this. He wants RCR to make HP to match my 800. His wants and dads wallet. He was butt hurt the day I brought my 800 home and beat him in drag race. Did you retain oil injection with your RCR 400 build? I was actually debating on having his stroked while its there but don't know if it's necessary. Also want it to remain reliable trail machine that can fill up at service station with rest of us.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yes I still have the oil injection they are proven to be reliable over the years. It may need adjustment though there is a procedure in the owners and service manual to check and service them. Upon rebuild you will want to add extra oil to the gas tank even with the injection make sure it's jetted correctly for the modifications. My last rebuild lasted 10 years and just rebuilt again this last summer.

I would say Trail porting and pipe would be cheaper and more beneficial than stroking it...it is still very reliable with the Trail Port but if you shave the head for higher compression you will require to use high octane fuel

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I would say Trail porting and pipe would be cheaper and more beneficial than stroking it...it is still very reliable with the Trail Port but if you shave the head for higher compression you will require to use high octane fuel
Thanks for input. Basically I'm waiting to hear from Rick to see what minimum repair cost is then we will go from there. My budget is about $2K so whatever he feels will be most reliable for that price range is what I will do. Will post results when done. Unfortunately he is best in business and is back logged for months right now. Hopefully we will get it done before Memorial Day but I'm thinking more around 4th of July.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Right Rick is the man who will steer you straight that is a good budget to work with I would say. Turnaround was fairly quick on my cylinder

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Right Rick is the man who will steer you straight that is a good budget to work with I would say. Turnaround was fairly quick on my cylinder
I sent him the entire engine due to the fact that the piston blew a hole in center crank case. Worth the $350 shop labor for them to tear down and reassemble entire engine. Also having crank done and all seals while there. Will be brand new engine when comes back. Also sent him my entire carb so they can bore that, replace all seals, and rejet to whatever spec needed for engine. Call me lazy but I just figured let the pros do what they do best. Lack of frustration on my end worth every penny.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Right you are let the professionals take care of it. . You and especially your son should be very happy with the results. Enjoy and good luck in the future with the quad

keep those Gen3s alive!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I offered to buy him a newer used quad instead of spending the money on his. He just said he really likes his so choice was easy. The gen3's are apparently not leaving my garage any time soon. And really is it costs me a couple thousand every decade then it is real cheap. Only fear I have is body replacement. Their fenders are starting to show quite a bit of wear and new body from Polaris is $500. He will definitely enjoy just having it back and thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts