Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting a set of Black Diamonds on my 570. Just want to know how they do in deep snow and hard pack. I use mine for plowing, hunting, work around my property. And of course for fun! I'm am debating on running 10's all the around or just sticking with a 9 inch up front.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
friend of mine loved his on his 800 Sporty. I have another friend with an 850XP, and he has torn the sidewall open on 2 of them. he rides a lot more aggressive and, rocky terrain.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not a big fan of directional tires. Look at the Pitbull Rockers. They're kind of the same pattern except not directional. I don't do a ton of snow riding so I went with the Sedona Rip Saws. They should be here in a week or so.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I like directional tires....especialy for plowing...the tread pattern digs deep..I have mud lites on my suzuki now...and been plowing with them for 4 years now....never got stuck and pushes the machine great ....I trail ride with it also an does great .

Now I have a 02 sport 500 HO...it has new Polaris extremes on it...but looking for a bit more aggressive tire now...been looking at the Kenda Bear claws HTR...8 ply..lite tire...nice tread..and has great reviews on lots of forums...and not a bad price for a radial tire...here is whet they look like and the price for all four is good...425 to your door....they even have deal on wheels an tire deals...

Kenda Bear Claw HTR - 8 Ply Radial

but look around an find something you like...I looked at the black diamonds also...an reading they have sorta a week side wall....

i have looked at a ton of tires..just have to narrow it down..lol...but the Claws are on top...then the Innova Mud Gear tires..but I am wanting radials....

do your research and get what fits your needs....

·
Registered
901 Posts
I run the BD atr's on my 500 max I really like them they are smooth and have very good traction and they are priced very well

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have looked at the pit bull tires, and I like them. Only problem is they are way to expensive. Those bear claws looks nice though. Have to let us know how they run! I'm looking at getting 25/10/r12 and 25/9/r12s, or goto a 26 inch tire. But how narrow do they run?

·
Registered
679 Posts
My friend put some on his honda. They were the closest design to my Rockers in his price range. They seem to perform well. I'm not a fan of directional tires either. They may work well in mud and snow(paddle/tractor tire) but we don;t mud in montana and the snow is only on the ground so long. We trail ride technical rocky stuff and blast down forest services/logging roads. I think if directional tires really shined and worked well, we;d see more of them on dedicated full size off road machines. You don't(unless you are a mudder), I don;t understand why they are so popular in the ATV world. Of course, if you mud.....

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have heard great things about the bear claws. a friend of a friend swears by them, he has them on his new 570.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Didn't last for me.couple slices in the sidewalls. Stiff as all hell too. Sold them and bought big horns, no issues after.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have looked at the pit bull tires, and I like them. Only problem is they are way to expensive. Those bear claws looks nice though. Have to let us know how they run! I'm looking at getting 25/10/r12 and 25/9/r12s, or goto a 26 inch tire. But how narrow do they run?
Discount tire (online) has an excellent price on them now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've got 27 Black Diamond XTR's on my Grizzly they are on a 12" ITP wheel. I absolutely love these tires. I'm continually amazed how smooth they ride compared to the mudbugs I ran before.
I've been using them mainly in snow as it's winter here in Nova Scotia. I live the way they claw for traction even when running in 16" of fresh snow with 4" of frozen packed snow underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
When I was looking for tires I had narrowed my choices to the Blackdiamonds and the Pitbulls Growlers. The deciding factor was reading where some was having to run them at extreme (to me) low air pressures for a good ride. So I went with the Pitbulls. Really enjoy the ride and bite they are supplying me with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I run mine at 5psi and they often look half flat at this psi if one tire is parked on a rock or lump.
I will say. They really grow with air. Between 4 and 6 psi they grow about an inch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got 27 Black Diamond XTR's on my Grizzly they are on a 12" ITP wheel. I absolutely love these tires. I'm continually amazed how smooth they ride compared to the mudbugs I ran before.
I've been using them mainly in snow as it's winter here in Nova Scotia. I live the way they claw for traction even when running in 16" of fresh snow with 4" of frozen packed snow underneath.

What air pressure do you run in yours?

·
Registered
118 Posts
^^^ I run mine at 5psi and they seem plenty soft

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
They might be ok in the 12" size, but they are not a good tire in the 14" size. I have heard good things about the HTR's as well. Personally, I have yet to find a tire that I like better than Maxxis Bighorns that work extremely well in all situations. I will likely go back to them when my Rockers get replaced.

·
Premium Member
11,396 Posts
I occasionally ride with a guy that runs bd and from my observation they are lacking. On hard pack hill climbs the rear of his bike was squirrely. On moderately technical hill climbs a lot of wheel slip. He seemed to get stuck a lot in the mud, and he avoids the deep stuff. Keep in mind this is on a 650 outlander and running 27's at 5psi. One more thing I made these observations when I was closer to him because he was having these traction issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts