Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 T.B.
I am bringing this machine back to life again.
No noises from engine.
She wouldn't start to save her life but would run fine once it did.
I checked compression...
Less then 60 psi.
I am getting a namura piston kit for it.
Cylinder wasn't in bad shape at all compared to what I'm used to in race bikes.
Hopefully this fixes my power issues
I couldn't get up a steep hill if it was more then 100' long.
She seems to be pretty snappy on the throttle. I was surprised the compression was that low.
I was using a harbor freight gauge kit.
Never the less its not close to the service range. 115 psi area.
My issue is with the electrical system.
The spark is a bright orange in the plug boot. Alot of it - just orange.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this.
Id rather not start buying parts from the spark plug back to stator with trial & error.
I have a good meter for reading electrical out puts.
I could use some help please.
I am assuming the spark should be bright blue.
Would the spark being orange rob power from getting to the wheels?
Thank u guys for any help.
Time is the biggest issue.
I make time to mess with it but i end up doing a whole lot of nothing other than looking at videos or reading threads on here.
I am very impressed with the way its built this is my first polaris.

·
Registered
11,893 Posts
Orange or white spark is not good - usually indicates a fouled spark plug or a bad resistor cap - yes it will rob power if it will even run - can be the cause misfiring, backfiring and hard starting among other things.

Compression is tested with the throttle wide open - the engine likely would not even start with only 60 psi of compression, but the compression will rise with an increase in engine speed. so cranking compression is much lower than running compression.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the info.
I'll try the plug cap first.
Its the cheapest at least.
I forgot to hold the throttle when I checked the psi. When I seen it that low I got side tracked.
No wonder I had to hold a rag over the intake and hold my left leg up to get it to start.
The last time I used starting fluid I bet it dropped to the 60 and now wont start.
I bought the quad stuck in reverse for $200.
Spent $300 for a trans to be shipped from Alabama to Ohio.
I got to ride it for a couple hours over 2 days.
Both times a steep hill caused it to die and would not start back up.
I was surprised when it started the next day after hours of attempts the previous day.
I got enough seat time with it to see it would make a perfect woods riding bike for me. Just hills and trails.
Usually ride dirt bikes. I'm committed now. It needs quite a bit of work but I'll get it together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered
Rings. gaskets. carb kit. clutch puller to get to engine/trans mount & future use. Oil pump block off. Drive belt. 11 tooth sprocket all ready has a 42 on back.
Seat cover. Rear caliper rebuild kit.
Ignition coil. Battery.
Looking for low end power
Hills & trails.
I want to get a brown spring but from what I have read about the red springs it makes your quad grab in gear at a higher rpm and jolts u instead of the smooth transition. Not for sure on spring thing so I waited. Does the brown spring make the same result.
Need a new inner & outer cover so i was going to put this in one purchase down the road. Hopefully shipping dont get messed up with the whole corona virus thing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Remembering most of these bike run decompression devices on the engine so compression will be down at cranking speed valve clearances are very important if a 4 stroke and can cause hard starting if setting are tight, compression will escape . Orange spark means the HV is getting down around 10k volt so i would start at the plug and work back looking for dirty terminals corrosion around HV lead etc. Air turbulence during compression stroke can and will stop a weak spark from jumping the plug gap causing intermittent spark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts