Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I was going through some water cleaning out my quad taking out some mud and I got a little carried away went in too far in and I got her stuck in the water.... Help need some advice . So far what I've done is...
Drain out the clutch cover like 3 gallons came out ..
I pulled out the spark plugs and used a small hand pump vacuum with a small long hose to get most of the water out then disconnect the fuse for the fuel pump and gave it a little turn to take out the water from the cylinders and some water shot out from both sides... I know that I have to flush out the oil and filter.. So my question is can I use a different sub oil for this process or do I have to use the Polaris brand... 2015 Polaris SportsmanXP1000

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well... I was going through some water cleaning out my quad taking out some mud and I got a little carried away went in too far in and I got her stuck in the water.... Help need some advice . So far what I've done is...
Drain out the clutch cover like 3 gallons came out ..
I pulled out the spark plugs and used a small hand pump vacuum with a small long hose to get most of the water out then disconnect the fuse for the fuel pump and gave it a little turn to take out the water from the cylinders and some water shot out from both sides... I know that I have to flush out the oil and filter.. So my question is can I use a different sub oil for this process or do I have to use the Polaris brand... 2015 Polaris SportsmanXP1000
Why are you conserned about the brand or type of oil you use to flush the engine. You have already lost an engine. Start shopping for a new engine because you do not sound like you have the knowledge to do any thing else.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
This sites better than that and hopefully someone has info to help you. I will say if you are going to run some oil through just to help flush then I wouldn’t be too particular.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why are you conserned about the brand or type of oil you use to flush the engine. You have already lost an engine. Start shopping for a new engine because you do not sound like you have the knowledge to do any thing else.
Thanks for your 💩 advice...!! I will get it running..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, sounds like somebody has a bad case of the COVID-19! Give the guy a break. He‘s asking for some help, not to be slammed. Also, concerned has 2 c‘s......MRPOLARIS, cant give you any advice, but good luck getting it going again. Ride safe, Pikester

·
Registered
355 Posts
On my mud bike, when I swamp it, yes, I use cheap oil to flush the cases out. The engine, trans, diffs. Just make sure it's the right oil, just cheap. I use at least Polaris AGL in the front diff no matter what, flushing or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my mud bike, when I swamp it, yes, I use cheap oil to flush the cases out. The engine, trans, diffs. Just make sure it's the right oil, just cheap. I use at least Polaris AGL in the front diff no matter what, flushing or not.
Thanks... That's what I wanted to do just flush with some cheap stuff same type and when it's done use the Polaris brand.... Thanks buddy (y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve used diesel to flush out an old Honda Forman with milky oil. Then fill with fresh oil, I would use some rotella 5w40 and then dump and refill with proper 5w50
Question when you drained the milky oil and put the rotella in did you cycle the engine running or cycled it with the plug wires off..?? And Thanks for your reply 👍

·
Registered
2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
189 Posts
Pulled the plug out and turned it over. Probably put diesel down the plug hole too, it’s been 15 years and kinda hazy now. I was pumping diesel in out of a gravity fed tank for the tractors so I did it a few times

·
Registered
19 Posts
These bikes are flooded and swamped every weekend. Get you some cheap oil 5-30, 5-40 whatever you want. Two new filters. Dump it and put new oil and filter. let it idle until operating temp. Dump it and put new oil again. Leave the filter on. Let idle to operating and drive for like 5 minutes not bashing it. Dump it all and put new spec'd oil and filter. As for the other fluids. Dump them and refill. Dump them again after about a 30 minute drive. You'll be fine. Don't worry, you ain't lost the engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These bikes are flooded and swamped every weekend. Get you some cheap oil 5-30, 5-40 whatever you want. Two new filters. Dump it and put new oil and filter. let it idle until operating temp. Dump it and put new oil again. Leave the filter on. Let idle to operating and drive for like 5 minutes not bashing it. Dump it all and put new spec'd oil and filter. As for the other fluids. Dump them and refill. Dump them again after about a 30 minute drive. You'll be fine. Don't worry, you ain't lost the engine.
I really appreciate it... Thanks buddy (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the same thing on my Ace 900 sp and had same question.For the engine I ended up using any oil I had on had to flush it,I had to do it 5 times.1st 3 times I ran it a couple minutes between each flush.4th time I used the Polaris oil and then final time with Polaris oil and filter.This was couple months ago,whether I did the right thing I dont know but when I recently checked compression it was still at 220 psi in each cylinder,same as it was before flooding it

·
Registered
28 Posts
What he said or even 3 times if it is still milky. And wd40 in the cylinder. Cheap 80-90 in the rear at least trice

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do be careful when u first start riding it after following all these guys great advice. Flush dump flush dump flush dump. Same thing happened to a buddy on his 1000 xp. He was idling and it shut off. Bent a rod. He didn’t realize it. Until 10 hours after Pay close attention to how it sounds after running it the first time after all your flushes. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes not. I hope that ur lucky. Polaris wanted 4000 to rebuild his engine. We did the whole thing for 1000. Def invest in a shop manual for ur ride. That way when it busts YOU can fix it urself. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks buddy... Tried to start her up today after the second flush.. She started up rough after 5 second it died... I was thinking of draining out the fuel... But just left it there

·
Registered
59 Posts
The best way after sinking one is def to disassemble the engine and look at the valves the pistons and rings and cylinder walls and the crank and bearings. Get that shop manual. We took that 1000 xp engine out and rebuilt and put back in in five hours. The hardest s part was all the plastics. Nothing like doing the job yourself. Like I said sometimes u get lucky if it was running when it injested water that’s what I’d look for. A bent rod. His was bend slightly and didn’t make any noise. But when disassembled u could see on the crank where it was touching and starting to score the cylinder wall. Its really not as hard as u think. Best of luck brother

1 - 20 of 31 Posts