Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Tell us what happened. Did it go all the way under water, and sit for a minute or two? Did you try to restart it without taking out the spark plugs? Does the engine run now after crapping out? Was it blowing blue smoke? If you tried to start it with the plugs in, that's how you bend a connecting rod.

I've had my mud bike under water for like 5 minutes before I could get it righted and start yanking it out of the drink. Never try to start it full of water, never, without taking out the spark plugs to let the water shoot out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Tell us what happened. Did it go all the way under water, and sit for a minute or two? Did you try to restart it without taking out the spark plugs? Does the engine run now after crapping out? Was it blowing blue smoke? If you tried to start it with the plugs in, that's how you bend a connecting rod.

I've had my mud bike under water for like 5 minutes before I could get it righted and start yanking it out of the drink. Never try to start it full of water, never, without taking out the spark plugs to let the water shoot out.
No it didn't go completely under it went just enough to cover the top of the airbox. In a angel front right headlight was under left headlight was barely above water.. The rear end, water was up to my rear compartment box. It was like that for about 20-30 minutes...Did not start it.. Did not try to attempt to start it..I drained everything and pulled out the plugs and even stuck a small vacuum pump in the whole of the spark plugs to drain as much as possible from there... Then with the plugs out, I decided to pull out the fuse from the fuel pump and ignition "just in case " I turned the key about 1-2 seconds at a time just for the cylinder to go up and down a little to shoot out water ... Then doing it for about 6-7 times it seemed to clear out.. I sprayed some WD40 in each cylinder then cycled it again 2-3 times.. I drained the oil.. Then the second time I drained it I replaced the oil filter... Filled it up to level put the plugs in "made a prayer 馃檹 " Turned the key it ran for about 5 seconds turned off .. Turned the key ran for 10 seconds turned off.. I did that about 4 times and thought that maybe the fuel also had water 馃挧 and just left it alone maybe for the weekend.. That's where I'm at ..

Registered
Why are you conserned about the brand or type of oil you use to flush the engine. You have already lost an engine. Start shopping for a new engine because you do not sound like you have the knowledge to do any thing else.
No it didn't go completely under it went just enough to cover the top of the airbox. In a angel front right headlight was under left headlight was barely above water.. The rear end, water was up to my rear compartment box. It was like that for about 20-30 minutes...Did not start it.. Did not try to attempt to start it..I drained everything and pulled out the plugs and even stuck a small vacuum pump in the whole of the spark plugs to drain as much as possible from there... Then with the plugs out, I decided to pull out the fuse from the fuel pump and ignition "just in case " I turned the key about 1-2 seconds at a time just for the cylinder to go up and down a little to shoot out water ... Then doing it for about 6-7 times it seemed to clear out.. I sprayed some WD40 in each cylinder then cycled it again 2-3 times.. I drained the oil.. Then the second time I drained it I replaced the oil filter... Filled it up to level put the plugs in "made a prayer 馃檹 " Turned the key it ran for about 5 seconds turned off .. Turned the key ran for 10 seconds turned off.. I did that about 4 times and thought that maybe the fuel also had water 馃挧 and just left it alone maybe for the weekend.. That's where I'm at ..
Sounds like you DO have the knowledge to do everything to get it running!

Registered

Excellent job, is it running now?
You might have to take all the snorkels apart, as they hold water once it's inside. I had that with my intake, trapped water kept messing up a seeming well drained bike, but it had a crook in it that held water, had to take it off the bike and drain, same with one of the belt snorkels, holds a ton of water in it with a big bend that traps the water inside.

I think you're doing fine, check everything on the intake for water in it.
If it starts, let it run up to temp, have the fans turn on, if it sputters and craps out, still some water somewhere.....

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Sounds like you DO have the knowledge to do everything to get it running!
[/QUOTE
Excellent job, is it running now?
You might have to take all the snorkels apart, as they hold water once it's inside. I had that with my intake, trapped water kept messing up a seeming well drained bike, but it had a crook in it that held water, had to take it off the bike and drain, same with one of the belt snorkels, holds a ton of water in it with a big bend that traps the water inside.

I think you're doing fine, check everything on the intake for water in it.
If it starts, let it run up to temp, have the fans turn on, if it sputters and craps out, still some water somewhere.....
I only ran it for that little bit... Don't want to force it too much.. But thank you I will check into that.. (y)

Registered
Something else to check, make sure you got all the water out of the exhaust system. When you spin it over to crank it could pull water back into the cylinders.

I sank my 08 800 and ended up sticking the rings. If it won't crank and stay running, or runs very rough you may want to check compression just to make sure you didn't hurt the rings.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Something else to check, make sure you got all the water out of the exhaust system. When you spin it over to crank it could pull water back into the cylinders.

I sank my 08 800 and ended up sticking the rings. If it won't crank and stay running, or runs very rough you may want to check compression just to make sure you didn't hurt the rings.
Thanks .. I will pick one up and check the compression it was next on my list.. (y)

Registered
Not sure about the 1000, but the manual for my 800 called for between 150-200psi in the cylinders. One of mine had 55-60 and the other had 75-80.

Registered
Not sure about the 1000, but the manual for my 800 called for between 150-200psi in the cylinders. One of mine had 55-60 and the other had 75-80.
Bummer, have you had it underwater? Does it smoke? Is it down on power?

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
Bummer, have you had it underwater? Does it smoke? Is it down on power?
I tried messing with it yesterday a little... Poured some fresh fuel and tried to run as much of the old nasty fuel that was in the fuel rail by pushing in the little button inside that black cap...Started up a little rough but better with the fresh fuel.. Then i got some codes one for the speed sensor and another for the power steering both hand some corrosion in the electrical prongs.. I scraped it gently. Then decided to pull out the fuel pump to make sure that the screen is cleaned but I just got as far as loosening the ring ..and that's about it.. So I have to pull the tank for that...I will probably mess with it tomorrow or during the week but getting there ..

21 - 31 of 31 Posts