Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been to 3 dealers looking to trade in my xp and they all offered $5-5400. ouch! its a 2011 LE eps with a bunch of accessories. So I put it on craigslist and cant even get $6000. Is there reputation of low quality catching up to them? I really dont want this quad anymore but im not going to give it away either. Was just surprised at such a low value.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The accessories are worth nothing for trade in or even selling it privately. That trade in seems about right considering its 3 models years old now. The value of these things drops off about 3-4 grand quickly but then holds pretty well after that.

·
Registered
670 Posts
What is on it for miles? How come you don't like it anymore? Hold off on Selling it for another month or two. Hunters will be looking for atvs in the fall. The plow may be a selling point too (when snow is soon). Does your atv get oil in the airbox? My brother in law got the update fix on his 2011 LE. No oil since then.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Ronin2 has good advice, the demand should go up soon enough when hunting season picks up. Also realize the 2014 models were just announced and so that has people excited about new instead of used.

Your accessories really don't add value, sadly. Winches and plows can for the right buyer, but they don't add trade in value.

ATVs do take a huge hit in resale value once used. Worse than new cars, you lose your ass in depreciation. Honestly if I was in the market I'd be looking for one 2-3 years old like yours since its already taken a huge hit in value.

It's not the reputation of the company, it's just the market. You can get a brand new one for only a few grand more is how many buyers look at it.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Sell it - "private sale" Trade-in will never be "good". Yet try to buy a used machine from a dealer and see what they want!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I always just sell mine on craigslist or EBAY. The stealer will give you pennies on the dollar but sell it at a jacked up price.
Right now is not the time to be selling. With the 14's coming out you can get some smoking hot deals on all makes and models right now. I have found a couple of places in tenneesee with the 850 Blue Fire for 8000 bucks out the door. Sweet compared to what they want where I live.

Ronnie

·
Registered
421 Posts
when I sell something I leave the accessories on it. if its a truck or atv. then I put it up for sale to see what I can get with accessories and all. if someone wants to buy it but knock the price down I just say. ok how bought this but I take of these items. iv had that happen a few times were they wanted the wheeler and the add ons but give a low price then I say. well if the add ons don't increase the value ill just remove them and resell them. and I have done that as well. as then they will have to rebuy anything they want for it. I buy it stock. ill sell it stock, and ill resell the add ons.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have found a couple of places in tenneesee with the 850 Blue Fire for 8000 bucks out the door.
If one of those was Abernathy's... not anymore. The one in my avatar was the last one and it left Saturday. :fest06:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I usually buy new since I like to know maintenance from day one but use it until only value left is parting out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
5.5k is my budget, if you were closer and would be interested in keeping the plow (have no need for it in AL) I'd be interested depending on the mileage/hours etc.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its about 100 hrs and 1130 miles. i think ill keep it for a few more months and try again in fall like was mentioned above. thanks for the input everyone

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
This really surprises me, I sold my 06 800 for $6k with the plow (and only the stock tires) 1.5 a years ago. That and you have a sweet looking machine, you should be getting around $7K at least in my book. 3 things that hurt you though are the 13's are on clearance, the 11's had oil in the airbox, and the 12's and up have the extra hp that everyone wants. Good luck man!!!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I think Lolly is pretty much dead on.... may add that it seems the 2011 850's have seen more "grenading issues" around the 1k mile marker than other years, but maybe partly to oil in air box issues. :dunno: Have you had yours fixed?

With the above said.... 2013's on clearance and the launch of the 2014's, I think your optimal time(s) to sell (as a private party) is about a month before hunting season opener, christmas/new years, at tax return season or the spring of the year.

Best Luck with your sale!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sold my ninja in Feb. Income tax time is a good time to sell. The guy test drove it at 20 degrees without helmet or gloves. He looked like a popsicle when he got back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts