Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have narrowed my decision to these two. I have ridden both around the parking lot at a dealer. It will be used for 50% hunting and 50% trail riding with minimal intentional mud bogging. Where I hunt occasional holes are unavoidable.

My impressions:

Power - Outty, no surprise. I like the low end grunt (could be more of a clutching difference than engine difference though)

Turning radius - Outty was tighter but would lift the inside back tire and was more tippy.

Ride - Riding over a parking curb they were both smooth, slight edge to Polaris. When I shifted the XP into reverse, it died and had to re-crank. Not sure what that was about. XP shifted smooth, I had to hump the Outty once to get into reverse.

Overall - I liked the Can-am better, but cost $2K more. If I add bumpers, winch, handguards, extra 6 mo. warranty to the XP the difference is only about $600-$800 and not enough to make my decision.

Where I hunt I am restricted to a 25" tall tire. The only 25" tire available in a 14" rim is the ITP Terracross. With the 12" wheel on the Outty there are much better selections. Since I will have to use 25" tire and I am not keen on switching wheels and tires between hunting / trail riding, I plan to run one setup year round.

Here is the question: Which do you think will go through the mud better, the XP with more ground clearance and a non-mud tire. Or the Outty with a less ground clearance (1" according to spec's) and a set of Mud Lites or Maxxis Zillas?

I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Magnetic

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clearance problem

We have on a a number o0f occaisons travel deep ruts in slippery clay all the Can Ams could drive through or just creep through, at the same time both 550 and 850 XP had trouble only way they got through was to use excessive speed to get through they could not just drive through,Can

ams 800 also 650 would back throgh the ruts or drive through

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I am not a mudder, but tires will make a huge difference in the equation...I would think the better tires (more options in the 12 inch size) would get you more places

·
Registered
355 Posts
You can not go to a 12" rim on the 850xp because of the brake rotor size so for tire choice alone I would go with the Outlander. Just out of curiosity, how is the 25" tire limit enforced? Is it a measured 25 inches or just by whats on the sidewall?

Action

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I am not a mudder, but tires will make a huge difference in the equation...I would think the better tires (more options in the 12 inch size) would get you more places
Agreed..Stock XP tires are garbage for mud and slippery terrain....once I put swamp lights on my 550 went way more places with much less effort...

I'm not sure but have noted this over the last year...we got 2 new XP's I don't like the floaty feeling of the xp suspension from the factory so I set my springs to the highest notch making the bike much more ridged..My buddy with the other xp has his set to the lowest setting (hes a Cadillac rider)...he has 28' tires I have 27"(same brand tires) if you put both our bikes side x side mine sits higher then his no doubt about it... he is the one that pointed this out,I think it bothered him that mine was sitting higher.So I'm not sure if those settings have anything to do with ground clearance but I think it does..What I am getting at if clearance is your issue of making a decision..I think you should measure your self both bikes because if the Polaris is set to lowest setting (comfy ride)..It might be on par to the can-am...Plus you get the better tire choices with the can am for that size...I will also say that my buddy with some weight on the back of his XP with the settings at there lowest looks like a low rider (hes usually in front)...so I gap out at his bike wile were riding...I am a hunter and my bikes primary use is for hunting and back country scouting...I personally would not want my ass end bumping like a frog threw the woods.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can not go to a 12" rim on the 850xp because of the brake rotor size so for tire choice alone I would go with the Outlander. Just out of curiosity, how is the 25" tire limit enforced? Is it a measured 25 inches or just by whats on the sidewall?

Action
I called and asked if I air down the 26" tires to under 25" with a tape measure if that would pass. They said no, LOL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i don't get it, why 25" restriction ??
Public hunting land, and at one time ATVs with big tires were rutting up the trails to where the smaller tires could not pass. I am guessing that 25" was the tallest tire from the factory when the rule was made several years ago.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
i don't get it, why 25" restriction ??
Public hunting land, and at one time ATVs with big tires were rutting up the trails to where the smaller tires could not pass. I am guessing that 25" was the tallest tire from the factory when the rule was made several years ago.

Have you checked to see if the rule was updated? How do you go about getting it updsted?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Sounds like the outty is your obvious choice just based on the tire thing (or instead of buying different tires just buy some of your own land, the prices should still be low), oh and just make sure and check out the outy forums on the G2 frames cracking.. Both my buddies love their 1000's but my 850HO keeps up with them no problem, they are faster no doubt, but not much, they still have stock tires so I kill them in the MUD LOL.. And being it is a new model year both have had some minor issues (bent tie rods and some headlight recalls)

Oh and note I paid $3k less then them with Winch, front bumper, and 5yr warranty!! So do more shopping on the 850...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. I went to the dealer intending to buy the Outty 1000 XT. After driving them both back to back several times, I bought a Blue Fire LE 850 XP.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Action
I called and asked if I air down the 26" tires to under 25" with a tape measure if that would pass. They said no, LOL.
Pitbull makes a 25.5" tire for a 14" wheel

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I went to the dealer intending to buy the Outty 1000 XT. After driving them both back to back several times, I bought a Blue Fire LE 850 XP.
What was the deciding factor that made u choose the Polaris? Good choice buy the way....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What was the deciding factor that made u choose the Polaris? Good choice buy the way....
First was ground clearance. Parked side by side, it sure looked like a lot more than the 1" difference the spec chart shows. Second, I could only open up the throttle for about a 150ft stretch and the Polaris was faster. It could simply be a difference in clutching, but short throttle blast seemed to favor the Polaris. Lastly, the frame cracking issue was a concern. The fact that it was $2K cheaper didn't hurt, but was not part of my decision.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Yeah I ride with 2 1000's one was already a can am guy the other sold his polaris 800 to get the 1k and has already said he wished he stayed Polaris as they are a lot closer on speed than people think... and he gets hung up where i blast through.. you will love ur new purchase.... dont get me wrong tho the 1k's are still super nice machines

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nice choice. Where are the pictures?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts