Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's up guys. I'm new to the Polaris world but even more so to the world of carburetors. I have great difficulty cranking my Outlaw when it's cold and when it's hot it won't idle right. I've tried adjusting the air mixture screw but can't seem to dial it in so I'm going to clean the carb completely. What types of cleaner can I use exactly? I've read that the aerosol spray type carb cleaners will ruin rubber and cause the slide to stick. I have some pics if I can get them to upload of what the inside looks like as of right now. Like I said when it comes to carbs I have no clue what I'm doing but it doesn't seem like they should be this gummed up normally. Thanks for all feedback.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
When I cleaned the carb on my sons YZ85 I took everything out and soaked the carb body & all parts in this Coleman Liquid Fuel at Blain's Farm & Fleet

I would recommend getting a rebuild kit and replacing the float needle & seat for sure.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The FCR carb is a bit complicated. The carb cleaner will work fine, but there is a rubber seal on the two-piece slide, remove the slide and clean it separately after removing the rubber seal. A carb kit would be a good idea to replace all the other rubber in the carb after you cleaned it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm seeing a lot of KTM dirt bike models in the applicable models list on the site I'm on. Will they work for the Outlaw's carb as long as it's a 39mm kit?

·
Registered
325 Posts
You're welcome and good luck. I recently had to replace the fuel pump on my '09 Outlaw 450. It must have been going bad for a while, the quad go it's old snap back that I thought was gone forever due to aging engine.

Take a look at the fuel line from the pump to the carb, it gets hot and cracks. Mine wasn't leaking fuel, but maybe causing air to get in the line and stalling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a great idea. I've got the carb cleaned and rebuilt, hopefully in the correct way, so today is my reassembly day. If I get her running right all I'll need are some tires and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
the cap you took off is from the top the jets are on the bottom. the pilot jet (starting/idle jet)is usually the one that gets plugged. Making it hard to start or idle. bumping it up a size or will number bits making it one size bigger at a time can make it easier for cold starts :)
It also continues to flow fuel at all rpms so it effects your jetting but normally they come lean from factory anyways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts