Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of youth quads and was wanting to switch from the polaris youth oil. I know a lot of guys are using amsoil and mobile 1 0-40. Will this be ok in the smaller quads ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My dealer recommends Polaris PS4 5w50 full synthetic for my 50 & 90. I used 10w40 Suzuki SP4A four cycle motorcycle oil before his recommendation. Both 4wheelers turn over much easier in the cold weather with the 5w50.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I asked the dealer yesterday as I was getting oil for my daughters 90 and he told me that the Polaris 5w50 synthetic is what they now recommend in all their ATV's. I guess I don't see any reason to change from it and I also use their transmission fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought 2011 used outlaw 50 and couple of days ago I cheked transmision oil level, the oil color was kind of gray. Is this normal color? Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
O
I bought 2011 used outlaw 50 and couple of days ago I cheked transmision oil level, the oil color was kind of gray. Is this normal color? Thanks
I would recommend changing the transmission oil. Polaris AGL synthetic transmission oil is recommended by my dealer and what I use.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Gray color typically indicates some moisture in the lube, likely from condensation.

Polaris dealers only recommend what makes them money. He's wants your machine to wear out, he doesn't want you to use AMSOIL, AMSOIL saves motors, AMSOIL will put him out of business. It doesn't matter if it's a ATV, M/C, bike, boat, car or truck dealership, they make the most money on service & repairs.

They have to buy 'X' amount of oil and filters to get a parts program discount for the year. This means they also have to sell them off which is where some of the deceptive sales practices may come in at certain Dealers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gray color typically indicates some moisture in the lube, likely from condensation.

Polaris dealers only recommend what makes them money. He's wants your machine to wear out, he doesn't want you to use AMSOIL, AMSOIL saves motors, AMSOIL will put him out of business. It doesn't matter if it's a ATV, M/C, bike, boat, car or truck dealership, they make the most money on service & repairs.

They have to buy 'X' amount of oil and filters to get a parts program discount for the year. This means they also have to sell them off which is where some of the deceptive sales practices may come in at certain Dealers.
I'm not trying to sell or promote any product, just suggesting that he changes the oil. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have been through my share of kids quads as my three daughters aged. Most any oil from regular car oil to the expensive PS4 will work well. I liked the Castrol 5w50 in my kids quads. You can buy it at the parts store, so it's easier for me to get than PS4. I did used oil analysis several times and discovered that the little engines are extremely hard on oil, any oil, change it fairly often. The little engines are harder oil oil than the big quads, at least in my experience doing used oil analysis. I wouldn't go over 15 hours on any oil before I changed it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with Miker about the engine oil... any engine can use any type of oil because they all work the same, exept big or small. Polaris engine oil is a good oil too, but what about transmission oil? I had moisture in transmission oil, and not all transmissions can use the same oil... So, would be ok to use automotive trans. oil?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Polaris Outlaw 110 EFI and the owner's manual says to use PS-4 Extreme Duty 10W-50 4-Cycle Oil instead of the PS-4 Plus Synthetic 5W50 Engine Oil.

On my previous 2011 Sportsman 90 and current 2017 Sportsman 450 and 570 I've always used the PS-4 Plus Synthetic 5W50 Engine Oil. (I live in TX)

Do you see any issues with sticking with 5W50 oil instead of the 10W50 Extreme Duty oil for the 2018 Outlaw 110?

Only reason I ask is because I still have a Brand New 1 gallon bottle of the PS-4 Plus Synthetic 5W50 Engine Oil that I will use for the 110 which will last me 4 oil changes or 2-3 years :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I agree with Miker about the engine oil... any engine can use any type of oil because they all work the same, exept big or small. Polaris engine oil is a good oil too, but what about transmission oil? I had moisture in transmission oil, and not all transmissions can use the same oil... So, would be ok to use automotive trans. oil?
For the Transmission - I would just stick to Polaris AGL Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid.

I's only $14 and you just need 1 bottle per transmission oil change on your $2k-$3k bike.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I'm not oil loyal - I use any brand 5w50 JASO rated oil in most of my engines, my street bikes get 10w40 or 20w50 JASO oil, my race bike gets Silkolene 15w50 and I use automatic transmission fluid (type F when I can find it or Dextron) in all my transmissions that do not use the same oil supply as the engine does. My 04 CRF250X has never has a cover off the engine, but the piston gets replaced every 30 hours as recommended and I replaced the titanium valves with stainless steel valves during the last engine rebuild. My Honda Shadow 1100 has 53,000 Honda CB450 had 93,000 miles when I sold it. I had to do a lot of work on all my toys over the years, but never had one leave walking except my 75 CB750 Honda. I was only going 20 miles (from one town to the next) when it ran out of gas - I switched to reserve and still no gas - turned out the stand pipe on the petcock had broken off so it was drawing off the bottom of the tank in either position. I only walked about 500 feet when a kind person gave me a ride the remaining 3 miles to my destination. I got a can of gas, retrieved the bike, replaced the petcock - end of story. BTW I change my oil and filter every 3000 miles on my car, trucks and road bikes, every 1000 miles on my quads, every 3rd race on my race bike and every 6 months in any machine that isn't being used regularly and sits for more than 30 days at a time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the info latebird. I'll just stick with using PS-4 Plus Synthetic 5W50 Engine Oil on this bike until I use up that 1 gallon bottle.

I change oil/filter every 25hrs which is equivalent to 1x year, so cost is marginal.

The Price between a gallon of the PS-4 Plus Synthetic 5W50 Engine Oil ($42) and the Extreme Duty Polaris PS4 Extreme Duty 10W50 Full Synthetic Oil ($49) is only a few bucks so I can always start using the Extreme Duty in 4 years which is how long a gallon will last me, lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So if I understand correctly, since the trany has it's own oil, I could use Castrol EDGE 5W50 Synthetic motor oil? I can get 5 liters for 30$ instead of 17$ for one pint at the stealership... (those are canadian prices)

For the transmission, is it ok to use synthetic 75W90 gear oil?

2020 Outlaw 110

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Here's the Polaris recommendations:
Motor oil can be any brand or viscosity your little heart desires, but if you use straight 60 weight, it will be low on power and may not start if the ambient temperature is below 40 degrees F.
AGL can be substituted with ATF or whatever other gear lube you choose to use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts