Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

My son recently got a 2007 Outlaw 90....it was in rough shape. We have spent many hours getting it in working order. Excellent learning experience for him!

Recently the chain has been coming off during trail rides. We have adjusted the chain in the past but I never noticed that the chain is up against the top of the swing arm bar when no weight is on the machine. It has a groove worn in the top of the swing arm.

I have followed the manual to adjust the chain tension but still when going over bumps and the rear shock extends, the chain hits the swing arm and pop....off goes the chain.

My son is light so it may rub more often than not. But my wife was riding it this weekend and when she when over a bump....off went the chain so I believe it is not due to rider weight.

Has anyone experienced this issue before and or have a fix?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sounds a little like the axle is shifted or sloppy in the swingarm bearing? Check the sprockets with a straight edge or laser, see if they line up? Is there any side to side play in the axle or swingarm? You can lift the rear end off the ground and check pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey jscheel!,

Thanks for the input....
We have replaced the rear axel bearings and I am fairly confident that everything was installed correctly. There is no play in the axel or on the swing arm. The sprockets are lined up. Where the chain hits is on the top of the swing arm tube that connects to the frame. So its the bottow of the upper run of the chain. I can add a picture tonight if your not following me. My explanation may not be the greatest!!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Your explanation is good, but I can't see how or why that should happen? If that area was meant to be a contact point, it should have a hard nylon pad for the chain to ride on? Is there a tensioner on the chain?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats is what I was thinking.... a nylon pad. Guess I could come up with something but I would rather fix it right. The chain tensioner is on but the rubber "wheel" for lack of a better word, is missing. The tensioner is located on the bottom of the swing arm and tensions the bottom run of the chain. I dont believe it would makes a difference.... but I do need to replace it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
This might be a stupid question, are you sure it's the correct rear sprocket? Did someone put a smaller one on trying to give the bike more top end? A larger rear sprocket and different length chain, might help eliminate the chain dragging? Are the rear tires and wheels the correct size, as this would affect the height of the rear axle and sprocket?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not 100% sure that the sprockets are the correct size. They were as grimey as the rest of the machine was when we got it. So I know they were not new! I will verify the sizes of the sprockets and the tires.

It is almost as if the rear shock is extending too far and raising the swing arm bar. Ever heard of a shock breaking or wearing out causing this type of result?

The only adjustment I have made to the rear shock is to adjust the spring tension to the softest setting. My son is a light weight. Maybe I will take the shock off and inspect it a little closer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't follow the manual procedure since you're missing the tensioner piece. Adjust so you have approx. 1" of deflection with no weight on the ATV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have adjusted and adjusted and adjusted.....it does not matter what tension the chain is.

I have adjusted it as stated above and that was how I was doing it before I got the manual out.

I checked the sprockets 14T front 35T rear. From what I see on the web this is stock sizes.

I forgot to look at the tire size last night but they are not significantly over sized or under sized.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts