Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son's 2008 Outlaw 90 has an electronic throttle control (ETC) that ties into some type of rev limiter which will significantly limit power output when the throttle lever is released in a stuck throttle situation or when in reverse. The switch in the throttle assembly went bad last year and I bypassed it since the switch could not be replaced without ordering the whole throttle lever assembly ($105). It has been running fine until this weekend at Glamis, the engine runs but power is reduced so much it won't even move. I confirmed the soldered wires that bypassed the ETC switch are still connected.

Is there a way to bypass this entire electronic feature and do away with the component that is cutting power? Someone mentioned to me that I may be able to replace the CDI box with an aftermarket one that will do want I want. Any ideas?

Any other suggestions to get more performance out of this quad?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: I ordered the Polaris 90 repair manual online for $12 and have begun touble shooting the problem. In the electrical section there is a trouble shooting diagram that deals with rev limits while in forward gear.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have all the body panels off and am knee deep in it. I have learned that The CDI box reads the RPM signal from the stator and acts as a limiter by retarding the ignition timing if RPM reaches the specified limit. In reverse gear, the CDI box retards ignition timing and limits RPM once it receives a ground path from the transmission switch dark blue (DB) wire indicating the
ATV is in reverse. The CDI box can also receive a ground path from the ETC switch causing the CDI box to
retard timing and limit RPM if the throttle cable becomes slack or stuck.

The ETC and transmission switch circuits check out good so I am beginning to wonder if the CDI box is bad, but that wouldn't explain the lights and starter not working...I think:fragez:.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The problem turned out to be a faulty CDI box. I replaced the stock one with an aftermarket one from Maximum RPM, which also inlcuded a built-in coil. The new CDI has no rev limiting and I noticed an increase in power at the top end. One interesting note; the voltage regulator also tested bad, according to the service manual, so I ordered a new one for $60 while waiting on the CDI, when a got the new one it bench tested the same as the old one but I couldn't return it so now I just have an extra. The running lights were also blown, so what ever happendend, it spiked the voltage and overheated the bulbs.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I sold the Outlaw 90 last week for a $1000, three hundred below what Nada said it is worth. It served its purpose and I was glad to sell it in good running condition. Of the two 90's I had, I prefered the Outlaw over the CanAm, it had a wider stance and a little more go. My boys have moved up to a Raptor 250 and a Honda Pilot.

· Registered
11 Posts
twharton, did you have to replace the stock jets with bigger jets on the Outlaw 90 so that it would not overheat at the dunes? My sons Outlaw 90 seems to lose power after about 30 minutes of riding in the dunes and then shuts off. It does turn back on after waiting about 5 minutes to let it cool down.

· Administrator
20,088 Posts
Simply attach the cable to the slide in the carb and the throttle operator, verify the slide rises when the throttle is operated and the problem is fixed

· Administrator
20,088 Posts
OK - now that I have verified the throttle actuator, you will have to detail to me what works and what doesn't.

Remove the hose connecting the air box to the carb - either move it out of the way or remove it completely so you can look into the throat of the carb - is the slide closed and does it move up and down when you operate the throttle lever?

· Registered
1 Posts
The problem turned out to be a faulty CDI box. I replaced the stock one with an aftermarket one from Maximum RPM, which also inlcuded a built-in coil. The new CDI has no rev limiting and I noticed an increase in power at the top end. One interesting note; the voltage regulator also tested bad, according to the service manual, so I ordered a new one for $60 while waiting on the CDI, when a got the new one it bench tested the same as the old one but I couldn't return it so now I just have an extra. The running lights were also blown, so what ever happendend, it spiked the voltage and overheated the bulbs.
I know this is old but I neeeed to know what CDI box you bought and how exactly you bypassed the ETC, I have a 2012 outlaw 90.

· Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
16,248 Posts
I know this is old but I neeeed to know what CDI box you bought and how exactly you bypassed the ETC, I have a 2012 outlaw 90.
Font Line Window Pattern Screenshot
to the forum
Ball Gas Font Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

1 - 18 of 18 Posts