Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 2014 Outlaw 90 but I see 2016-2017 Outlaw 110 for sale for about $500 more, is the 110 worth the extra money?

This ATV will be used for a 7 year old and an 11 year old ( until his skills are good enough to handle the Recon) and will be used for riding trails and hollers on our hunting ground, so will need some good low end to get up hills on certain parts of the property. Will the 90 be good or does the 110 offer substantially more low end to justify the extra money?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Not a great deal of more power in the 110 - the 110 is EFI and most service will need to be performed at the dealer - the 90 has a carb and is pretty simple to maintain - the motors are Yamaha made by Aeon in Taiwan - most of the engine parts from one fit the other, so it comes down to displacement and EFI or carb as deciding factors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, $500 isn't worth it to me for efi, just wondering if the 23cc difference in size made any difference in low end power for getting up hills. Sounds like it's not much, my sportsman 570, rzr 570 and recon 250 don't have much trouble but need something for my 7 year old (weighs 55lbs) to ride that can go up a hill, if the 90 will do it as well as a 110, then I'll save the money for tires and exhaust.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Neither the 90 or the 110 is 'good' on hills - it's an entry level machine - owners manual specifies not to operate on hills steeper than 15 degrees - it does not have enough torque to drive up a 10 foot long ramp into the back of most pick-up trucks - might have trouble going up a ramp on some trailers - a friend of mine has a Coolster 125 cc and it would not pull him up the ramp into his enclosed trailer, but his trailer was also pointed uphill on a 10 degree slope. See if you can arrange to try before you buy deal.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I chose the Honda 90 as a starter machine for the grandkids. A new young rider lacks the ability to shift or start the manual recoil so speed and use are regulated. I just manually apply it into 2nd gear. Plenty enough power to haul a young operator plus me on the back at 225# Yes we have an adult ride along when starting out and it works well.

The PVT machines are neat, but they cant grow into learning to shift and regulating speed via throttle does not work well on uphill versus downhill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My recon 250 won't go up a 6' ramp into the bed of my truck without a running start but it does pretty good on hills, I weigh 215. Being that my boys are quite a bit lighter, I figure the 90 with good traction should work.

·
9,210 Posts
Neither of the Polaris machines will climb any hills. They're simply WAY over-priced Chinese machines with Polaris stickers and are electronically limited and can't be unlimited or modified easily. They are also very weakly clutched and prone to failure. Pretty much useless other than to buzz around the back yard on flat ground. You and the boys both will be very disappointed after getting to the first hill.
If you're going to get a mini atv you can save yourself a bunch of money and get something that will run and can be modified like a TaoTao. Parts are cheap and easy to find unlike the little Polaris machines.
I've been through all this with my 6 year old grandson. He's riding a TaoTao 110 I souped up a little for him right now. He'll be needing something bigger very shortly if he's gonna do any real riding with his papaw. I just recently found him a like-new Honda crf50 that we will be practicing on this fall. If he gets to liking the dirtbike more we may not need a bigger atv till later. That little Honda is surprising how much torque and power it has in such a small package.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honda trx 90 here for the kids. Genuine Honda quality. Kids can learn to shift. Second gear works great as another poster stated. Newer ones are electric start which is a huge plus over the pull start models.

I ran straight av-gas and never have carb trouble. Used to have trouble with regular gas when they would sit for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Considered the trx90 but it's a smaller frame/wheelbase and no reverse, my youngest weighs 55lbs and my oldest weighs 105 need something for my 11 year old to learn on, he rides and shifts the recon around the yard but the trails on the hunting property are quite a bit different from the yard. Once he's mastered the 90 then he can ride the 250 and the 7 year old will get the 90. My youngest will probably ride the 90 for quite awhile.

·
Registered
342 Posts
2020 CanAm DS70 for my nine year old’s first ride.
Adding DS90 throttle cable and removing clutch spacer in the spring.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Neither of the Polaris machines will climb any hills. They're simply WAY over-priced Chinese machines with Polaris stickers and are electronically limited and can't be unlimited or modified easily. They are also very weakly clutched and prone to failure. Pretty much useless other than to buzz around the back yard on flat ground. You and the boys both will be very disappointed after getting to the first hill.
If you're going to get a mini atv you can save yourself a bunch of money and get something that will run and can be modified like a TaoTao. Parts are cheap and easy to find unlike the little Polaris machines.
I've been through all this with my 6 year old grandson. He's riding a TaoTao 110 I souped up a little for him right now. He'll be needing something bigger very shortly if he's gonna do any real riding with his papaw. I just recently found him a like-new Honda crf50 that we will be practicing on this fall. If he gets to liking the dirtbike more we may not need a bigger atv till later. That little Honda is surprising how much torque and power it has in such a small package.
I agree with polman! Your question is whether or not to spend an extra $500. For $500 you can buy a new Tao Tao 110 and trust me neither will be on whatever bike you buy for very long. You’ll be looking for the next size up way before you think you will. I did the Tao Tao 110 to a Kymco 150(solid bike)to current Polaris 450 HO. Now I regret not just getting him the 570.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ended up getting the Outlaw 90, it did pretty good on the hills at my land but I have since installed these tires on the rear and he hasn't had any trouble at all going up hills, through creeks and muddy paths where wild hogs have been wallowering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts